OLD MAN IS MOVING

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by captchas, Jun 4, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. captchas

this old 77 year old car guy is readying to move, out of this HOA we've been in for 37 years ,out into the country of far south sussex county in north west nj , a horse farm to the right, 3 houses to the left, farms across the road, behind the horse farm is a large lake on state land

1300 sq ft 3 bed. 2 bath ranch (yes the most have 1 for each) with a full finished basement man cave, 2.5 car garage, done in a blue gray epoxy with a 12 foot ceiling,(lift time) 2 decks one has a hot tub, on over a acre of land on a slow county road , OMG i can't believe we are doing this

minds working overtime with what needs to be done, move the hot rods, move the lawn gear,tool boxes , 2 dogs and us, buy a garden shed,fence the yard ,

am i crazy ,what do you'll think?

front.png #ad

side rear.png #ad

front side.png #ad

back yard 2.jpg #ad

back yard.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    Tags:
  2. NRA4ever Founding Member

I think your smart. I'll never live in a city again. My nearest neighbor is a half mile away. Enjoy your new home.

captchas likes this.
  3. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Us crazy guys have got to stick together you know. Dear Sister sold the 300 acre farm out from underneath us. (How she got control to do this is still somewhat of a mystery). We have a house in town, but we decided we were country kids at heart so....we probably went overboard, buying a place in North Klamath County 180 miles away. 11-1/2 acres out in the sticks and borderline on what is considered Oregon Frontier country. If you want to go to Costco, Lowes or Home Depot, it's a 1 hour 50 mile trip!
    Still have the house in a very small town in the valley that we are keeping for when we go back to visit, mow lawns, medical appointments, etc.

Congrats and enjoy!

captchas likes this.
  4. NRA4ever Founding Member

I'm living on the family farm I grew up on. I have 60 acres with a nice pond. Once I get my knees finished I plan to enjoy walking the hills I walked as a kid.

Seabiscuit likes this.
  5. captchas

what i wouldn't do to sit on a stool, bucket under a udder hand milking a cow while keeping a steady eye for the nearest leg that might kick that bucket and me,driving a tractor , yes i grew up summering on a family farm that sadly became interstate 88 in upstate ny back in the early 60's ,

while this house is in jersey farmland, near the water gap national park, summer camps, the ap trail, it's only a 7 mile 15 min drive on 2 county roads into the county seat , home depot,lowes, shoprite food store, 9 miles to the hospital

6. iicap

Capt, go for it man, you aint crazy. Don't know about your's, but seems HOA's are making nightmare headlines every day. We are on 1.5 acres of level ground, ranch house, all lawn, love mowing it with my old wheel horse from the 70's and snowblower attachment in winter. When we bought 18 years ago, we said NO STAIRS, we aint gonna be this young forever. Oh by the way, I'm 81

Cap

Seabiscuit and captchas like this.
  7. captchas

hear you cap. i'm not that many behind you , feel lucky i can still walk and drive one of those generation Z anti theft devices called a stick shift i to enjoy mowing only i have a cadet zt2-50 zero turn with a 50 inch deck no way would i want to walk that yard with a push mower, 215 feet house to the back line x 150 wide last 75 are woods TG
    stairs, they are there, 6 up in front 10 down to the ground from the back door, or that deck or down to that man cave basement . snow i have a 28 inch 10 hp toro powermax ,(been a overkill the last few years with our lack off) but worry i may need to mount a plow to something as the drive way is 100 feet to the garage from the road times how many paths back and forth plus the walk ways is a lot of walking

the current HOA has become a nightmare. when we moved in the dues were 250 a year and we got a lot back 5 nice lakes, good roads, lots of things for the kids, today 1400 a year and nothing but wanting to spend the surpluses on bull
    last item we voted down just a week ago was 2 million plus on club house upgrades that didn't even include fixing what should be and would only increase it's value by 200k

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    NRA4ever likes this.
  8. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Not the farm I grew up on but it takes some of the sting out of what my sister pulled.
    Pond and river. IMG_7634.jpeg #ad

IMG_6194.jpeg #ad

captchas, iicap and NRA4ever like this.
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Have a good time with the new house!

I've never lived in an HOA, and have no desire to.

NRA4ever, captchas and Seabiscuit like this.
  10. NRA4ever Founding Member

I'm in the sticks but I have plenty of shopping and medical services 10 miles from my home. Plus I have over 400 acres of family land to hunt.

captchas and iicap like this.
  11. captchas

thanks ken,, how many years has it been since you were up here? 2006,2007? i remember not having a lot of time to show you around only where my house was and the view from the top of the mountain looking down and across to PA,
    i'm feeling like it's crazy to move at a advanced age, but what we won't have to deal with is not going to take long to adjust to, we will not any longer be under the north-south 4R and L landing pattern for newark airport, won't be dealing with a BS hoa, no more medevac landing field in the park 1/4 mile away, we will be in some ways closer to the stores and medical care , right now it's a 16 mile drive to the food store, 23 to the hospital, after 6.7 to food and the box stores 9 to the hospital

we are past attorney review now, sitting down with a mortgage company today, inspections set for the 17th,open house on the current is saturday have had 10 couples look at it already 1 is coming back for a second look today.

iicap, Seabiscuit and NRA4ever like this.
  12. captchas

inspections moved to tomorrow the 11th, open house went good, repeating it this weekend , had one family take a hour to view the old house yesterday, spoke with their realtor outside for another 1/2 hour .HOPE/HOPE only need one bid/contract

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  13. captchas

what i wouldn't do for even my family still having a 120 acres in upstate NY, just south of cooperstown town named Schenevus , 50 head of cows , dang government and eminent domain it's all now part of interstate 88 .

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

2007 was the year. Yeah, it was a pretty quick trip overall.

We were planning to stay where we are at until death, but the older we become, the less either of us likes taking care of 3 acres of grass, plants, flower beds, trees and hedges. We eventually want to find a place with a much smaller yard with either a shop building (or room for one) that can hold 2-3 project vehicles.

captchas and NRA4ever like this.
  15. captchas

wish there had been more time ken, really was a honor meeting you,sadly there was those problems we both know about , i would have loved to had you meet a few of my buddies here, esp auto carton artist lance shorchik and his collection that i helped him build. OMG thats now 8 cars together everyone a feature car in a magazine save the newest one the all ford steel 29 A sedan delivery

hear you about property upkeep, going from a 1/4 acre to a full is going to be fun, yet it has many upsides, full finished basement verses' crawl space. 2600 sq ft total verses 900, no more newark ap noise from the landing pattern to 4 r and l dead overhead . no more main road noises 150 feet away, what we will hear is cows,chickens, ducks, horses, farm tractors, drive into town is a easy 7 mile 15 min, run past state parks, horse farm lands across the bridge for a large lake .
    hard to think it's the same county in new jersey

our old house in under contract as of yesterday for 10k over asking of 335k lawyer review starts today

house inspection came up with a septic fail, the camera showed it had been built with orangeburg pipe and it collapsed, the field was dry so the seller has to have it fixed, got home to our realtor telling us your old house is SOLD asking 335k got 345k asking we stop showing it

20230714_151319.jpg #ad

NRA4ever likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >