2019 F-350 Diesel Transmission Harness Ripped Out…

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by PDXFJR, Jan 2, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. PDXFJR

I’m a newbie, thanks for letting me join. Wanting some input or thoughts on a little (sarcasm) issue we have with our F-350

Sunday 12/26, the kids and I were heading to my Mom’s in Central Oregon from the Southern part of Portland. We were driving in packed snow the whole way. We were about 50 miles into our trip, running 4wd full time, average speed 55mph.

No warning, massive bang from under drivers side floor boards and every possible warning light flashed across dashboard. “4wd mechanical failure” “loss of sensors” “loss of trailer sensor” (we weren’t pulling, but do have an RV) on and on….

Truck became sluggish and rev’d rpms. I pulled over to the side of the road and discovered the entire wiring harness to the transmission had been ripped out and was hanging from the front differential. Truck would not register gear selection on dash, was stuck in one gear and 4wd. Was looking at up to a 3 hour wait for a tow. I was able to get it moving and truck ran at around 45mph and felt fine there. Once again, one gear.

Was able to get it back to the Dealership in Tigard. Not where I purchase it, just closest to house. Parked it. Once turned off truck wouldn’t restart because I don’t think it was registering in park. Oh…reverse worked fine…

Dealership didn’t touch it until Thursday night. Got a call from them about 10pm and they are trying to tell me they think a squirrel chewed the wires and that’s what caused it to get ripped out….are you kidding me?? Because they say the end of the wires look weird. Do you think it’s because they got ripped out at 55mph??? (Sarcasm again). In addition, they’re pulling the cover on the transmission as they’re concerned it took at the valves.

Long story short, even though transmission is covered under drive train and we purchased an extended, she’s telling me that the squirrel effect will nullify any warranty!!! What???? There are no squirrels in our neighborhood first of all, second, we had been driving over 50 miles in 4wd when this happened!!
    Would love your guys input or thoughts,,,, pics attached…

8DC5C312-3C71-4A33-947B-378791ED3F9F.jpeg #ad

EF0A4AC6-BB64-4D71-BE60-D9ABC66DFB0C.jpeg #ad

B9B61FE1-996C-42A1-92E9-22C9DFD366DF.jpeg #ad

4C3DBA1F-FE05-46CB-8232-F4275B663425.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Most electronic controlled transmissions have a limp gear the transmission will default to if it's engaged and there are control failures, so you can limp it to safety. So having one gear is normal when that happens.

You say ripped out, you mean like something in the road got it? That wouldn't look good for warranty coverage either since a road hazard caused it and not a part failure? Dealers have some discretion with warranty coverage, so I'd see you can think of anything plausible that might have caused something like that to get yanked out.

I'm trying to visualize how it could drop on it's own enough to snag the road, and come up empty, but my F250 was an older model with a different transmission. Maybe one of the other guys here can take a peak under their truck and see if there's any one place a wire harness strap could fail enough for it to drop enough to snag the road?

3. PDXFJR

Thanks for the response…. I don’t think anything from the road grabbed it. We were in packed snow and the road was pure white and had nothing in it. My 24yr old was in the passenger seat and he has said the same thing, that the road was clear. My thought is that one of two things happened… the clips that hold it up looks like a “J”. I’m wondering if it got enough ice and snow on the harness that the pressure pulled it out of the hooks and it dropped the cable down far enough for the front differential to grab it (design issue). Option two, it was cold to the point that the clips started breaking off from the frame and body allowing it to drop down.

One thing for sure, the front differential is what ripped it out…it was wrapped around it and it would be the only thing that could yank that hard.

4. SSBN659

Doesn't look like any bite marks in any of the pictures. I hope you asked what type of squirrel can bite through wires without leaving a mark.
    Hope you got it all taken care of.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If it was rodents of any type, usually you'd also see chew marks in more than one spot.

DonW likes this.
  6. DonW

Sounds to me like the only rodent (rat) is the dealer!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >