Driving the model "T"

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, Apr 3, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Check this out:

Tags:
    56panelford and Campspringsjohn like this.
  2. captchas

don't forget to retard the ignition before trying to crank a t or a .it will break a arm

3. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Cap, weren't you the one that convinced Henry not to confuse his customers with to many color choices.

:rofl:anim

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  4. captchas

not me, back then you could have any color you wanted as long as it was black,

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

wow, if they think driving a "T" is hard, i would love to hear what they have to say about setting the coil boxes up!!

6. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

My dad tells the story of a neighbor beating the poop out of the hood of a T with a tea kettle when it wouldn't start. Before antifreeze you dumped the water in wintertime when you parked it and then filled it with hot water to help get them to start.

7. captchas

magneto's they had 4 for them in wooden boxes under the dash on the firewall. one had to be careful working around or on them the ouch could kill.

1970something likes this.
  8. captchas

some old timers would keep them full of alcohol or moonshine in the winter ,"early antifreeze"

9. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

yup. and they each had to set just rite or it would run like crap. when set properly they would "sing"
    my old fire dept has one with a 2 speed rear axle i helped restore back in 75 before our 75th anniversary parade..
    on the way to the parade a brush fire call came in 6 miles away from us.
    dept chief was riding shotgun, and 2 guys were on the back step. D.C. called us in service on his walky talky, then started winding the old hand crank siren. i put the power to it and woke up a cop running radar when we passed him doing 65.
    we were first on scene and had the fire out before anyone else called in service using the buckets and watter in the 100 gallon on board tank.

for years after that the locals talked about the four crazy firemen that showed up to a fire on a 1917 truck, wearing full dress blues including suspenders, and the biggest handlebar mustaches they ever seen.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Campspringsjohn and Greywolf like this.
  10. BKW Founding Member

Why did Henry say that?

Because back then, cars were not painted, they were varnished!

One entire floor of the Highland Park plant was devoted to varnishing (which could take two days just for one car) and since Henry was selling T's as fast as he could make them, he discovered that black varnish dried the quickest.

1924: DuPont invented automotive paint, first car painted with it: 1924 Oldsmobile.

DuPont was a major shareholder of GM and for many years, Olds was known as GM's 'experimental' car.

If the product worked on Olds, it was soon shared with the other cars. Olds was also the first car to use chrome plating (1925).

1940: Olds was also the first car to have a fully Automatic Transmission (Hydra-Matic), Cadillac got it in 1941, Pontiac in 1948.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Great video Dutch.

12. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

That was a very good video..^-#

13. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

I have spent one day at the Henry Ford museum, had I known I could drive a model T I would have gone back the next day,

14. captchas

i've never driven a t but have in many model A's. more power then a t, a 3 speed transmission ver. bands and planetary sets, those mechanical brakes are fun to stop with esp. if not adjusted right.
    correct on the varnish it also was black due to being coal oil based,

15. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

yea, them mechanical brakes leave a lot to be desired.
    another interesting fact: if you have the two speed rear and put the rear in neutral, you have no brakes.
    found that out the hard way back when restoring it, one of the guys bumped the wheel chock and off the "T" went, out of the firehouse, across the apron, then across the 2 lane highway, across the parking lot of the electricians building across the street, and into his bay door, stopping only when it hit the 2000 lb bundle of rags that were just delivered to the back of the shop.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >