Ranger Drl's...........i Hate Em'

Discussion in 'Ranger, Explorer, Bronco II and Sport Trac Forum' started by OldjunkFords, Jan 14, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Anybody know how to disable the annoying daytime running lights on my 2002 Ranger?
    My search so far has come up with nothing but conflicting info.

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It's a circuit board Dave, you have to find it, and bypass it.
    Should be up near the air bag sensor near the center somewhere. has a photo eye on it, so it will be able to see day light from through the grill

3. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Gonna look, Charlie...........Thanks.
    If I want my headlights on during the day I will turn them on MYSELF...........I guess it helps sell headlights and alternators.

56panelford likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

That module might come in handy for something else, if you want to trigger something to work only during daylight hours.

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't think it's light sensitive, DRLs come on ANY time you turn the headlights on.................getting really annoyed with these worthless things.

56panelford likes this.
  6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Little confused then about how they function in the Ranger verses GM's. If they are day time running lights, why come on when the headlights are on? Wouldn't by definition they come on during the day time when the headlights are turned off?

7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

In Canada, and some US states, it is the law to have drl. The gubberment is trying to mandate it as a law for all states to have drl. They want us to be safe, and see each other out there during the daytime.
    Our new Pete has drl.
    I finally got used to it.

8. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Guess I should re-word that..........They come on anytime you start the vehicle.

56panelford likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Yup. as soon as the key goes to run

on the Pete, as soon as you push the park brake in, they come on

10. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I am going to change the 9007's in it out for 9007 Silverstars which apparently are bright but don't have the longest filament life, don't want to burn them up in DRL use.

56panelford likes this.
  11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Dave, I have no idea if yours would be the same as the one my MIL had for a bit as they are 3 or 4 years separate in age and hers had what they called the "Canadian Lights Package", which I think just meant it had key on headlights but no tail lights until you turned the headlights on with the switch.
    But......my son was using it for coyote and varmint hunting and got P.O'd that he couldn't shut the lights off when idling and running the heater.
    Behnd the front bumper, drivers side - I think he said on the radiator support column(?)- you may have a single black box and wire harness. Take that relay out, weather proof the harness and that should do it. Since yours is newer, it could be different. He also mentioned a possible relay in the electrical distribution center under the hood. He said to be careful with fuses as he disconnected a fuse and found out it was a multi tasked fuse.

Been using the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra in the cars and trucks for a very long time Dave. If there is an early "burn out" to them it has been long enough now that I don't recall noticing a shorter life. It's been at least two years since I have bought any headlights. I was thinking about splurging the next time one of the rigs need lights and trying the Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs. They are only a couple bucks more a pair.

bigrigfixer likes this.
  12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Dave's is in the center, beside the air bag sensor

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Well, that's a wonderful place to put it! My oldest boy manages an Auto Body / Repair shop. He says I would be surprised how many rigs they get in because someone was working on their rig at home and had an "accident" with the air bag circuits...
    My 96 PU has the air bag light in the dash, but it is non functional and there are no air bags in it.

As to the headlights in the daytime, the one car has drl, they others nor the pickups do. I generally run with the headlights on all the time. Old habit from the cop shop I guess. Not sure what difference it makes...accident rate is not going down and all four times I was taken out at the cop shop, the headlights were on. Twice, so were the wig wags, red and blues and the siren.

dustybumpers likes this.
  14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Someone changed yours around with 93 parts. not hard to do, the big steering wheel came out in 93, 94 was the first year for the air bag. Air bag trucks suck, the horn is a small button over near the edge of the plastic center, and are horrible to remember where they are when you need tto blow the horn in an emergency
    You probably still have a clock spring tho, so if your horn quits blowing you know where to look

15. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

If you find the sensor, does this mean a jumper wire is needed in the unplugged harness to have lights at all?

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >