Drove The BIG Three....

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by KW5413, Aug 21, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

The GMC is in the Body Shop to repair damage done by my sister-in-law. It is a 2018 1500 Sierra Crew, Premium Plus, 4x4. One notch down from the Denali. Insurance sent me to Enterprise that provided a 2020 Ram Laramie. It wreaked of smoke, or vape, so bad that I had them find another truck. Turns out it is 2020 Lariat 4x4., 10,300 miles.

So, here's my thoughts. For the most part, I like my GMC but, it GMC was slow to put modern creature comforts in their trucks until 2019. Things like push button start, side vehicle detection...not to mention others that I have had on other vehicles since 2011. So, I might, might, I say, kinda sorta maybe, will be looking at other trucks due to a unique trade opportunity I may have...Plus, the decent rebates.

Anyway, The Ram 5.7 Hemi was VERY responsive. In fact, the accelerator is so touchy it scared the drizzles out of me when I first started driving it. The brakes were just as sensitive. But, make no mistake about it...the bitch wants to GO!. Handling was very good and suspension seemed to take the bumps rather well. If someone gave me one, I would be happy to drive it but, at the higher trim levels they just aren't dealing much. The transmission is the smoothest shift I have ever experienced in a truck. Impressive. Then there is resell, which historically, sucks for Dodge / Ram...anything. Oh, and it was leaking something at 27,000 miles. I do understand, though, why long time owners like these trucks.

The F150, as is always true with Ford, is the quietist and also seems to handle bumps well. A lot to like about the Ford but, front cabin storage significantly lacking when compared to the GM and Ram trucks. A / C doesn't seem to preform as well as the other two. And the transmission was unpredictable. It acted like it didn't know what to do. A little jerky and clumsy feeling. This one is the 3.5 Turbo, which I am a big fan of.

So, I really like my truck but, I bought it at $ 15,000 under list. In round #'s it listed for $ 57K. I paid $ 42K. Since there is a shortage of new and used trucks....at least in the DFW market...With my GMC at just over 24,000 miles, My GMC dealer has called me up and offered $ 40K straight up or as a trade. Payoff is $16K so, I am in a pretty good position to upgrade. Both Ford and GMC is being pretty aggressive with their mfg rebates and dealer discounts. The Denali's are dropping $ 9K - $10K off list and Ford is pretty close with their King Ranch and Platinum trims.

Not being that mad at my truck I am not sure if I am going to do anything, or not. But, I am glad that I accidently have experience diving all three. They are all damned nice in their own way. Too bad, we can't take the best of all three and make a single, close to perfect, truck.

Tags:
    Campspringsjohn likes this.
  2. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Well, I did pull the trigger on a 2020 Denali. The rebates were higher than I have seen at this trim level(Damned near $10K). Since there is a shortage of trucks both used and new, the trade-in value was very high. In fact, the dealer put the 2018 on the lot within 48 hours at just over $ 1,000 more than I paid for it 26 months earlier. In addition, I had high equity in the 2018 as I had been paying it down at a high rate of speed. :)

BOA loves me longtime so my interest rate came in at 2.19% (60 months) which puts me at just under the prescribed monthly payment for the 2018. I don't know if this will be my last truck, or not, but, I am planning on keeping this one for a while...Well, that's my story anyway. :rolleyes:anim

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

You've gone through a few vehicles in the past few years, so I ain't holding my breath about this being the last one.

KW5413 likes this.
  4. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

As an update, the dealer sold my 2018 in 6 days. The Denali handled / rode as good, or better, as my previous Navigators and Expedition on my latest trop to Lubbock. Even The Queen was happy with it for the couple of hours she drove.

Its pretty amazing how all of theses kinda, sorta, American trucks have evolved over just the past 20 years. They are all exceptional, in their own way.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

What amazes me is they keep offering higher luxury tiers, and no matter how high they go, there doesn't seem to be a ceiling to what people will buy in a pickup.

Used to be base, XL, XLT. Then Lariat. Then King Ranch, FX4, FX4 added to Lariat and King Ranch, Raptor, etc. Then Platinum, etc. It simply stuns me that some people are paying damn near $100K for some of the higher end trucks. The profit margin must be insane on those.

6. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Yeah, I can't keep up with all of the different levels. Especially with the Ford Truck line-up. Its a mind boggling thing.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I recall that my sales rep, at the dealership, told me he just sold an $ 84,000 Yukon / Denali to a couple and the wife complained about the fuel mileage...o_O

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

LOL, reminds me of many threads I've seen over the years!

About the trim levels, they are now extending it to the Explorer. Ford announced today they are adding King Ranch and Timberline trims to it's line up.

9. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

Well, I have to admit, the Explorer is one of the bestest SUV's out there. In damned near any category. Almost don't blame them for adding pricy branding to the line. Though, I don't know how they could make them much better. Branding for dollars, I reckon.

Here's an interesting note. The Queen has a 2019 Lexus RX 350. My youngest has a 2019 loaded Hyundai Santa Fe. That damned Santa Fe has all that the Lexus has, including HUD for about $ 24,000 less...list price. The couple of small things that the Lexus might have over the Hyundai is no where near worth the difference in price. Though, on a long trip, the seats might fit better. The Queen has already stated she is going back to the Hyundai / Genesis line for her next vehicle. She wouldn't have left if the new Genesis SUV had been available.

But, back to Ford, for overall comfort, the Explorer and new Expedition / Navigator are hard to beat.

10. DonW

I agree with all of the above, but one thing that amazes me is the way everyone asks..”but what do you get for mileage”? Or some will drive 15 miles one way to save .95 per gallon for gas,especially when some cars only take 14 gallons when down to 1/4 tank! They save a whopping .70 but burn 1.25 gallons to get there and back.
    I traded my 18 RAM hemi 1/2 ton for 20 ford 7.3 Godzilla F250. Ram got 4 mpg better mileage.When I tell peopleFord gets 14 they either say OMG! Or nothing at all....same thing. Floridato Maine about 1400 miles, 2 looooong days or 3 reasonable. Ford at today’s gas prices....about $45 difference....I dont worry about it.

11. DonW

I've owned them all, was ford man 50 yrs. Only owned a few gm's. Owned 4 RAM's since 2012, 3 being the 5.7. Went back to Ford only because I wanted/needed 3/4 ton, and am sold with the 7.3. I want no part of any diesel, thats just me. After all is said and done....the RAM is by far the better truck. I like my F-250 but will always regret not trying out the RAM 2500...However I know they all are good trucks.

captchas likes this.
  12. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

One of my Son-In-Laws has a 2021 Ram Limited. Damned nice truck. Has the air bags to adjust lift and all the other cool chit that goes with it. Just not convinced the resell is going to hold up...once this new truck delivery issues get squared away.

13. DonW

I don't buy anything new anticipating resell....

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >