New Guy with '83 F-150 Carb Questions

Discussion in '1980 - 1986 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by DonnieChase, Apr 20, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DonnieChase

Hi, new guy here. Been checking out this forum for awhile now, and like all I've seen...
    I have an '83 F-150 XLT, and I have questions about many things concerning it. This is my 5th OBS/'80-'86 Ford truck, but my first 4X4 one. It's sat most if its life, on one farm or another, and needs a lot of mechanical and structural TLC.
    For now, my only question is this: The carb has been rebuilt 4 times now. Both my uncle and a good friend did the rebuilds. Both said the anti-rock plate was missing from it and won't let it function properly. So, I need a good, used, inexpensive Carter YF 1-bbl carb for my 300 ci/4.9L inline 6 cylinder; can anyone help me?
    I'd be most appreciative of any and all help. Thank you for your time and efforts, ladies and gentlemen.

Donnie

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Is this a feedback carb?
    If so, I can help you out

3. DonnieChase

I'm not sure... I really don't know what that means.

4. DonnieChase

Do you mean, does it have a return line to the gas tank? (It does not.)

5. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Is it the computer controlled carb..............meaning does it have a wire harness running to the carb?

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Post a picture of the carb on your truck

I have a brand new feed back off one of my 80's trucks, still in the box. I don't have the truck anymore, so I don;t need it
    If you don't have a feed back carb, you don't need it either.....

7. DonnieChase

No, it's not computer controlled; it has no wires going to it.

8. DonnieChase

I'm a newb at forums and such, so I have to ask: How do I post pics on here?

9. DonnieChase

I'm a newb at forums and such, so I have to ask: How do I post pics on here?

Sent from my A462C using Tap a talk

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Take the picture with your phone. when you post, look beside where it says post reply, it says upload a file
    a box will come up, pick gakllery, pick the picture you want to post, then push post reply
    Picture will be in the post

If there are no wires, you don't have a feed back carb, and this one won't do you any good
    I will look in my storage area, and see if there are any older carbs left, but I doubt it

I do have a nice offy dp 4 bbl intake with a 550 4bbl holley and a set of headers for an older 4.9........

11. DonnieChase

Oooh, that sounds sooo good!! If it wasnt for such tight finances, I'd take you up on that offer!! But I can barely afford a replacement carb, so I'll have to wait...[emoji24] Thanks for checking on the carb for me; I really do appreciate it. Shoot me a $$ on the Offy set up, and the 1-bbl. (if you can find one); who knows, maybe I can scratch up enough green to get the Offy stuff if you can't find the 1-bbl. Thanks again!

Donnie

12. DonnieChase

[​IMG]#ad

13. DonnieChase

Finally!! I got the pic taken and posted, DB. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it. And if you need them, I have pics of both side views if the carb, as well. Thanks again! [emoji1] [emoji109]

Donnie

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

No problem, glad to help
    I am familiar with that carb, so no need
    I looked in my parts "hord", and do not have anything for you
    I do see that the EGR valve is not hooked up. Probably none of the emissions are either.
    Some of your carb probelms are due to this.

Did you check to see if the carb bolts to the intake are tight?
    Spray some carb cleaner around the bottom of the carb, and the bottom of the egr at the top of the intake, while the truck is at idle.
    let me know if the idle increases

15. DonnieChase

I did check the carb bolts. I checked for leaks around the carb and EGR valve, with carb cleaner; the idle remained the same. To be fair, just 30 seconds to approx 2 min after startup (depends on eng temp at startup), the float vent tube starts pouring gas into the carb. It can't build power, and it chokes itself till the eng dies. Idk what to do... (Can't the truck run, well, without the EGR valve? Like, if I put a block off plate in it's place?...)

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >