1992 F250 7.5L: Timing Cover Leak

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by JayB, Feb 11, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JayB

Recently had to replace the water pump on my truck and just recently I noticed a leak coming from the timing cover (very obvious and visible).

The Haynes manual I own does not mention much about about removing the timing cover. Do I need to drop the oil pan to remove the cover? Or is this going to be an easy thing to do?

Thank you,

- Johnny

Tags:
  2. Oldiesask

Are you leaking oil, or water? The 460 uses a metal plate behind the water pump, this was not used at first (1968), but they found the timing covers were eroding, so the plate was added. Sometimes, people leave them off, so if yours was missing or rusty, I would replace that first.
    If you still need to remove the timing cover, it can be done with the pan in place, but be very careful at the bottom, they are easily cracked there, don't pry from the top.
    Note; my experience is with older engines, later timing covers may vary.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  3. JayB

Thank you for your reply to my question. I appreciate it.

So it is leaking coolant, not oil. I have stopped operating it because I am worried the coolant will mix with the oil or get into the engine. I am confident in doing it because I did the water pump. Is this going to be something where I need a lot of parts? I ask because I am tight on money (just graduated school) and I also do not want it sitting in the garage taking up space if I were to start the work now.

4. Oldiesask

If you are concerned about water in the oil, check the top of the dipstick for droplets or a milky deposit. You are in a better place than me to make that call, but the coolant cannot enter the oil from the water pump. It can from the joint between the t. cover and block, if that's where the leak is. Getting the timing cover off, and then sealing it back up are a challenge. But I encourage anyone to learn by doing, that's how I learned.
    I have never worked on a fuel injected 7.5, but I think they have better timing chains than older 460s, still, be prepared for that to need replacing. Be prepared for a big job, the drive accessories all have to come off, and you will need a puller for the harmonic balancer. And best to remove the rad to avoid damage, it will be dis-connected anyway.

Just thought of another thing, I think there is a short bypass hose at the top of the water pump. That is a common leak, especially if it was not replaced with the water pump. the coolant will run down and cover everything beneath it.,

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >