ECM Code reader

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ducker97, Apr 30, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ducker97

I'm looking for a code reader, would like some advice on which unit is best, most economical in price that I can count on. Appreciate any guidence with this quest!

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

With price being a big concern, Amazon might be your best choice especially if you have a Prime account so you don't have shipping costs.

The thing about low end scanners is almost all of them are using the same software and have the same features. Even the screen menus are the same. So the thing to look for is not only code reading but also build quality and freeze frame support, because that help diagnose problems that haven't yet set a code.

If I were buying and price was a huge concern, but you still wanted highly rated, this is the one I'd get.

3. Ducker97

[Bu: 5362966, member: 1"]With price being a big concern, Amazon might be your best choice especially if you have a Prime account so you don't have shipping costs.

The thing about low end scanners is almost all of them are using the same software and have the same features. Even the screen menus are the same. So the thing to look for is not only code reading but also build quality and freeze frame support, because that help diagnose problems that haven't yet set a code.

If I were buying and price was a huge concern, but you still wanted highly rated, this is the one I'd get.
    [/QUOTE]

4. Ducker97

"FTZ HAIC,post Thaks so much for your guidence with this and the Info about what I should look for with regards to features!

5. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

depends on what you want to so with it and on what vehicles.

for older pre OBD vehicles i have an autoXray scanner.
    for newer OBD vehicles, i use torque pro on the phone with an OBDLINK MX bluetooth adapter.
    for changing parameters on ford OBD vehicles i use forscan on the laptop with a hardwire OBD adapter.

6. Ducker97

Well that might be a little advanced for me, but I will check it out and see. Thanks for your knowledge and guidence!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >