Ecm/ecu/ecc Connector Cleaners And Protectors

Discussion in 'The Fabricators Corner' started by Greywolf, Oct 15, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I have a hassle still to correct on a small car project, and one of the worries is bad connections to the computer in the car. There's also a lot I remember about Main Wire Harness Firewall Connectors being a huge cause of signal failures of all descriptions, so what I was looking for was something really good at restoring bad connectors (cleaning) and also protecting them for the long haul.

I remember a few people talking about a stuff NASA used to use called "Cramoline" but aside from some minor references I can't find that anywhere. I don't think it was ever released to the general public.

But I HAVE been hearing about a line of products from "CAIG"

Specifically DeoxIT (trade name)

Check this link:

CAIG DeoxIT Gold

Reading down that I see they make a cleaning specific stuff, that this in the link is for AFTER you have clean connections, and the reviews of the product sound like people who really have a lot on the ball - professionals who can't afford to have stuff fail. Their testimonials sound like it's a serious professional product used in aerospace applications, etc...
    *Or at least, the first review is.

"Prior to the internet and companies like Amazon this product was unknown and unavailable outside a few professional circles."

In my own near background I recall a transmission repair center I briefly worked at where there was a massive failure of the ECU or the transmission Control Module in a Mazda 626 that never was satisfactorily resolved.

So I'm wondering about this really hard and in a directly focused way.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

GM has a BIG issue with microfretting in electrical connections . I have some stuff at work that is better than slipcoat for them .
    A connection enhancer . I will get the name and post it .
    I see a huge number of issues with GM vehicles and connectors . There are Numerous Tsb's on their issues .

56panelford likes this.
  3. Paul Masley Founding Member

Wolfie, I had this problem consistantly on my 85 and the cure I used on the ECM was to use the old channel contact cleaner on the plugs, spray and clean with a brass brush, and then coat the hell out of them with waterproof dielectic grease. Solved the problem, never to return.

56panelford likes this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Results from Today:

This means the connector at the ECM is filthy and has to be cleaned some way, OR what I can do is solder on to the pins directly. This would guarantee a good solid connection - but "Oh Sweet Mary" what is called for if the ECM ever goes bad...

(Like there are anymore of them available)

I can do that....
    But who the hell else can or wants to?

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Contact cleaner or brake cleen
    then this stuff
    1019151053a.jpg #ad

56panelford likes this.
  6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Brake Kleen should never be used in a connector that has plastic around it - because it dissolves the plastic and can insulate the connectors metal parts. (I found that out the hard way)

ETHER can be used, because it flashes away quickly. Think "Starter Fluid"

But you want to be careful of anything that can melt plastic and cause it to coat surrounding parts

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Buy a can of electronics cleaner (or MAF cleaner, same basic stuff), it's made for this, will not damage plastics and can be found at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.

8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I must be lucky ... never had a problem
    Using brake cleaner .
    for that matter, no one I know has either .

56panelford likes this.
  9. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Me neither..............Brake kleen has never given me a issue with any material.

56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  10. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

On this one I prefer to be paranoid than sorry. They don't make 'em anymore.

But then - I have a bud across the road who has a set of dual downdrafts in a box that would run right around the problem, assuming I want to get the 'strib (dizzy, for the ozzies out there) and re-plumb the fuel pump & stuff.

I'm in too deep to take chances.

11. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Not all brake klean products melt plastics. I think it's a function of the chlorine content. I used a CRC brake cleaner product on an aftermarket plastic center console in my old Bronco 2, and while it did a good job, I let it pool in the cup holder to clean some spilled coffee.

Bad idea.

Anyway, I avoid CRC like the plague now, and have been using Kleen Flo on everything exclusively, since probably 15 years ago now.

http://www.kleenflo.com/products/313-322-323-324.html

From there you can find the msds on it, and there's no chlorine in it, but there is isopropyl alcohol and heptane.

What I have done with this stuff is use it as a pressure washer, with a small brass brush, and it works pretty good.

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >