EGR Code P0402 A Flow Excessive Detected (2017 6.7 Diesel)

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Biffster, Jul 4, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Biffster

1 1/2 yrs since return to me after major engine repair due to engine fire. (less than 10K miles since.)
    Total engine miles less than 40K
    Truck purchased in Mid- December of 2017
    I have cleared the code a couple of times. The code occurs randomly. Cleared the code, drove over 200 miles on a fishing trip, then a few trips around town, nothing. Left the other morning and the code popped up again.
    Any idea if Ford is addressing this issue?
    Engine repair from the fire is less that 1 1/2 yrs, so I am going to see if that matters.
    Can the EGR be cleaned or does it just need to be replaced?

Any insight to this issue?
    Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. Biffster

Under Warranty, Scheduled to take it in on July 14.
    Told the Service Agent that was in charge when I had my engine fire, I was there for our 2 year anniversary. :happy:

DonW likes this.
  3. DonW

You have an excellent attitude Biff..

4. Biffster

Took the truck in this morning at 8:00 am. I called at 2:00 pm to find the status of the truck and had to leave a message.
    No return call.
    Called back at 3:00 pm and they answered.
    Need to replace the EGR valve. Mechanic was going to be taking three days off so they asked if I could bring it back on Monday the July 25.
    Picked up the truck. I asked if they had the PART IN HAND? the reply was YES. I told them to have the mechanic put it under his pillow to make sure they have it when I return on the 25th.
    Also they said they did the recall 20E07 Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming.

Not Happy about NO return call and really they did know about it earlier in the morning.
    I'll be reporting back in a couple of weeks!

5. Biffster

Enjoy my pains and be Happy it isn't you!
    Took the truck in Monday the 25th. 8am Service Tech had flight problems and would not be returning to Wilmington till noon. So I left my truck.
    Called Wednesday, 27th late afternoon and asked about the status of my truck. Quote "I have to check with the Tech and call you back." Two hours later, she returned my call and said the bolts broke off and they have to change the exhaust manifold.
    I called them today, Friday, 29th about 4:15 and got to talk to a machine. NO return call.

6. DonW

Wow! Thats terrible! I mean I understand...I guess about some of the parts for some of these recalls being slow coming down but there's no excuse for the lack of customer service. I.E. phone calls etc! Thats on the individual dealer. The parts thing is the same at my dealership but the personal treatment is impecible! They return calls right away, follow up. Whenever I have service of any kind I get an email the very next day with a survey. 4-5 questions and comment section. If you do not ck "5" on every question, or voice any concern at all you get a call to discuss it. In fact when I bought the truck new in 2020 my salesman said WHENEVER you come back here for anything you WILL call me. He takes me to the lube bay or service dept, gets me checked in then walks me to the on site diner and buys me breakfast or lunch, whichever is the case!!
    One time they called me and I told them I'm really not a 100% Ford fan, I hate the ride of my F-250, like the engine and transmission but the worst part of buying it there is when/if I no longer need the 3/4 I will want another 1500 RAM but as long as my salesman works at Ford, I'll have to stick with Ford. THAT is customer service!! I hope it works out and you get a break soon Biff but I'd say next time you may need a new dealer!

Biffster likes this.
  7. Biffster

Thanks Don!
    Yes, the No Return Calls or Update on the Situation does sit very cross with me. Communication is a Big Key in Customer Satisfaction!

DonW likes this.
  8. Obe Vet Zone

I dropped off my 2019 with the dealer Sunday for a Monday appointment. Same issue, EGR not closing causing excessive flow (and the engine operates in derate mode which was a bear when hauling a 8,500lb travel trailer when the fault occurred). Under warrantee. It is now Tuesday evening, no call from dealership on what they found. I'm hoping the EGR just needs cleaning. Not sure about the 2017, but on the 2019 you have to pull the EGR cooler off with the EGR to get to the EGR bolts.

I'm not an emissions expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to recirc the exhaust from after the exhaust particulate filter so the EGR doesn't get all sooted up? It's all about the EPA anyway, they screw up gas cans and diesel emissions. Some folks install an aftermarket kit that removes the whole EGR system. Not going to do that since I'm still under warrantee.

9. Biffster

So I had to call Monday, and leave messages on the machine. Got a call back, big surprise they called back, and it should be ready Tuesday.
    Guess what? Damn you are good!
    That's right I had to call Tuesday afternoon and leaved a message requesting the status. Got a return call later, saying they will be doing a road test and it should be ready tomorrow!
    Oh Great, tomorrow??????????? The day that never is: Tomorrow

10. Biffster

Believe it or not, I just picked the truck up for the Dealer. EGR valve, Exhaust Manifold, Oil and Filter Change, time will tell.
    1/5 or 20% of my ownership of the truck has been in the shop. Just putting it out there!

11. Obe Vet Zone

I called the dealership today. I was told there is a recall out on these EGR valves. EGR is supposed to be there tomorrow morning and I should be able to get my truck back tomorrow afternoon. We'll see.

12. DonW

Been waiting months, like 3 for the wiper arm recall…..same bs as the trannies, and other re-calls, no parts!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso