Electrical problems?

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Roachk1ng, Jul 27, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Roachk1ng

I just purchased a 91 f250 xlt lariat with a 460. As I'm driving it home it randomly dies. So I towed it home. Once home I checked my battery it's reading 12.4v, I go inside to turn the key and nothing registers inside the dash cluster. I have headlights and dome lights even a slight beeping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated this is my first project car and I'm fairly new to working on cars.

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Its hard to say, there are so many things from bad ground straps, internally corroded positive battery cable, loose or shorted connection causing the PCM to crash, short or loose connection in the ignition switch system.

Does it start again if you let it sit for a while? Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the ignition key to on (without starting it)?

Do you have a EEC-IV code reader? See if there are any diagnostic codes. If you don't have a code read, do a Google search on the paper clip way - you basically put a paper clip between two lines on the PCM plug and the check engine light will flash in patterns to give you codes.

Any chance you can return the truck if you bought it off a dealer? Some states have a return period, some don't. If you bought it from a private seller and they made misleading claims then there might be a case for deception in small claims court but you'll have a tough time proving that if it's wasn't in writing (like in the ad).

3. Roachk1ng

I purchased the truck through a private party because the torque converter is going out and I thought it would be a good first project truck for me.
    If I turn the key nothing happens not even a fuel pump wirring. I only know the voltage because of my jumper box. When I turn the key it acts as if it has no power like a dead battery. None of the gauges work and the beeping is just alerting me that my lights are on. My ground from my negative battery terminal looked a little corroded where it bolts to the body and I'm thinking about re routing to one of my alternator bolts that you back off to adjust the position of the alternator so you can remove the belt. Is that a good idea? Also according to one of the articles that I read it suggests I should replace the ignition coil or relay depending on what it has .

4. Roachk1ng

Update I replaced the ignition switch and still nothing

5. captchas

on older cars and trucks most mechanics when working on jobs like your start by cleaning every ground wire, IE battery to block.battery to body . than check the power feeds which in most cases comes from the starter relay VIA a roughly 6 inch long fuseable link wire which can look good yet not be,
    good luck

6. Roachk1ng

Thank you for that information I've been looking for the relay but nothing is labeled any advice on identifying the relay

7. captchas

on a 91 the starter relay should be a black relay bolted to the firewall that the positive battery cable runs to first,off that is the fusible link,

pic-6373264341696611620-1600x1200.png #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >