Dual Mass to Single Mass Clutch Conversion - 93 F250 7.3L Turbo

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Hamberger, Oct 2, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Hamberger

Finally got around to changing my clutch to the SMF from the Factory DMF at 385,000 km.

Installed the Luk 07-230 Kit and new Luk cylinder and hydraulic line kit.

What a difference. The SMF clutch is so much more easier on the leg, shifts so smooth.

Took me about 12 hours.

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I see you have an IDI 7.3! Haven't seen many of those around!

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

12 hours... that's why I don't like touching transmissions!

4. Hamberger

12 hours is doing well on the driveway, don't forget I also changed my rear engine seal, rear Transfer Case seal, and U-Joints.

I really like the Luk clutch kit and the Luk cylinder kit. No bleeding required, the cylinder kit just pops in place and I was ready to go.

What I like most about the new setup is how feather light the clutch now feels. My knee used to hurt after a hour of city driving and you had to really push and in the end I literally had to push the petal right to the firewall to get the it to dis-engage.

I remember I had to get the pedal assembly welded up once because of all the fatigue cracks caused the pedal assembly to break away from the firewall.

Had a look inside the transmission too, was like new. Shifting gears is a breeze again as well. Started to really grind the gear there at the end so the clutch upgrade was a must to not damage the transmission.

All good now. She still growls the way she always has in 2nd when I lug her below idle RPM, love that sound.

The 7.3 IDI and turbo are going strong, does not burn a drop of oil, she should be good for another 400,000 kms (250,000 miles).

IDI Forever

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't mind engine work, electrical stuff, brakes, and so on, but body work and transmissions are two things which just aren't my cup of tea!

6. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

Sounds like switching to SMF worked out well for you.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >