Engine Fire on 2017 F250 SD w/ 6.7 Diesel

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Biffster, Jul 2, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Biffster

As stated with 28,761 miles, 2 1/2 years old.
    Maintained and well cared for. Main use is to pull my aluminum fishing boat, as I am retired and fish when I have the chance.
    Yesterday, July 1, 2020 Went fishing.
    Boat ramp about 10 miles from the house.
    Put the boat in at 5:15 a.m.
    Back to the ramp about 10:30 a.m.
    My buddy walks up the ramp to retrieve the truck and trailer. Truck was less than 100 yards from the ramp.
    As he is backing down the ramp and smoke started to bellow out from under the hood.
    Once he stopped, he came to the boat to get the fire extinguisher.
    Popped the hood open and sprayed inside the hood.
    I got out of the boat, and opened the hood the rest of the way, and gave another shot from the extinguisher.
    We ended up removing the air filter, that was still burning and threw it into the river to put out the flames.
    Glad we were not on the road or in a heavy traffic area.
    Truck did have the Block Heater Cord replaced in September 2019 per recall. (Or was it replaced?)
    No other work has been done on the engine.
    What happen?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

without knowing what caught on fire, it is anyone's guess.

3. captchas

whats with fords and catching fire since 2013

4. Biffster

Techs still have not looked at it. I do not think they will look at it until around July 8th. Initial inspection leans towards and electrical issue between the back center of the engine and fire wall.
    Last month I had my "Blind Spot" turn off for an unknown reason. Two weeks prior I had my "Sync" screen go blank. Not sure if this was an indicator of stuff to happen? No other indicators of something major to be forthcoming.

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Are they going to warrantee this?

6. Biffster

Per the warranty 36 months / 36,000 miles bumper to bumper
    5 years / 50,000 miles drive train

7. Biffster

Service Manager stated cause of the fire may have been because of a miss-routed wire. Still have to investigate in more detail. Service Tech was making a list of needed repair parts.

8. Biffster

Went to the dealership today, 7/27, to check on the progress of my truck. I was told, not much happening and "We sent photos to Ford". So they have had the truck since July first, understand it had to "get in line" but given a week to get attention and now three weeks later, no progress?????????????

9. Biffster

Stopped by the dealership today (8/12) to check on the status of my repairs. NO PROGRESS ---- NO REPAIRS BEING MADE. Service manager said they are waiting on Ford. Called the Ford Customer Care and ZERO HELP.

10. Biffster

Tried to contact Ford Customer Service 800-392-3673 and they were NO help. Said I need to work through the Dealership and I responded the Dealership recommended I contact Ford Customer Service.
    We tried the Live Chat and after four attempts, we finally had a Customer Rep. respond and stated they will check and be right back with us. Never got back to us, we finally timed out after waiting 20 minutes of for their return.

Today, 8/13/2020, I contacted National Highway Traffic Administration to start an investigation on the engine fire.

I have walked the line of authority, Dealer Truck Service Manager, Dealer Service Manager, and have tried to contact Ford Corporate to get some movement on the repair of my truck. Dealership hands are tied as they are waiting on Ford to tell them how to proceed.

11. Biffster

Help? What is the next step?

12. Biffster

Received a call from the Dealership and they finally received authorization to submit the repair estimate to Ford. Now I am looking at October until I get my truck back, maybe.

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I think it might be time to call an attorney. It seems this dealership was trying to wait you out or purposely delay for some reason. I bet all it takes is a letter from an attorney to light another fire: the one under the dealership's ass.

DonW likes this.
  14. Biffster

Thanks for the suggestion. (While I was trailing my boat, a guy ran into it and totaled it. I found that lawyers didn't want to do squat unless there was some injury.)
    My fear will be after the repair, what items did they miss.
    Dealership has used the words Catastrophic, Major Damage, Most Sever, .... So I am figuring wiring into the cab was destroyed as well as all the damage to the engine both mechanically and electrically. I am guessing that most everything under the hood was damaged.
    I was lucky that it happen while I was in a parking lot and had a fire extinguisher (from the boat).

15. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

when your vehicle catches fire, NEVER EVER put it out. let it burn so the insurance will have to replace it.
    it will never be rite after it is fixed.

bismic, Sox3 and wrencheswild like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >