Engine vibration

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Kbroom, May 5, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Kbroom

I just purchased a 1972 F 100 from a guy that just had bald. He had purchased a blueprint rebuilt 302 that's a 1987 302. He had the engine in for 3 years and 3 weeks ago he noticed a noise in what ge thought was the torq converter. He bought a new one him and friend installed it. I statyed a vibration bad at acceleration. So he called the company up they sent him another torque converter installed same thing.so he then took to a professional transmission shop they said wrong flex plate so transmission shop installed new flex plate the enginstill vibration. Now I purchased it and Screenshot_20230505_205554_Chrome.jpg #ad
    I adjusted timing and it's helped alot .but still has some vibration now that being said I pulled all paper work on engine the harmonic balancer states 50 Oz I checked the 2 flex plates and both are 50 Oz c6 just like what it should be . Any help I also have a contact number so feel free to call me 423-402-1013 name is Keith. I Like to think everyone for help if possible.

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

Did the vibration just start or has it been there since the new engine install?
    Is it an old harmonic balancer or was it new with the engine? Sometimes the rubber will slip and let the weights move and get out of balance

3. Kbroom

Vibration just started when the other owner changed the torq converter it started then never there before

4. Kbroom

The engine came with fkexolate and damper when he purchased tge engine. The vibration just started when he swapes the torque converter.

The transmission shop bought new flexplate and torque converter and a harmonic balancer as well still vibration it wad bad untill I adjusted the timing and it helped alot but still had some vibration

5. RP67F100

Does the engine have a stock cam or performance ? Some times hard to hear a misfire with a hp cam
    Since it got better when you adjusted timing you may want to check plugs and compression, maybe a bad wire

6. Kbroom

7. Kbroom

I will check this evening and thanks. I'll let yall know what I find.

8. iicap

You Say, It developed a Noise and the PO "THOUGHT" it was the torque converter. I Ask, even with the noise, there was no vibration???? And now your changing other things because of this vibration that was not there before. Sorry there is no zipper on your truck for a quick change, but I would put the original flex plate and converter back in and see if the vibration is gone. Set the timing back to where the PO had it. Do inspect the the original parts for any sign of wear from a possible rub. Try to move the crank fore and aft to see if might be some excess wear of the crank thrust bearing.

You Know that the 240/300 six and the small block Ford 260/289/302/ 351 have the same Bell Housing Bolt Pattern and Flywheel to Crank Bolt Pattern. Now I'm talking Standard shift, you cannot use a 6 cylinder flywheel on a V-8 and same the other way, can't use V-8 Flywheel on a 6. The 2 Engine Groups, are balanced differently. One is balanced Internally and the other Externally. If you mix match your going to most likely have a balance problem. Now I don't if there is a difference between V-8 and 6 cylinder Flex plates and Torque converters. If Mr Wilson, Our Resident Parts Guru views this thread, He may comment if there is a difference.

As it is now, If you start the engine and let it idle, is it smooth, no vibration, until you increase the RPM's ??? If so and you have a Tachometer, increasing the throttle slowly, at what RPM does the vibration begin??? Cap

9. Kbroom

I even took plugs out and checked for compression it's 150 in each cylinder. 2 plugs was black suit. Took the new dorman balancer and reinstalled the blueprint brand and with it in time It starts fine seems good at idle but from 900-1400rpm there is a vibration you can feelin the steering wheel good after the 1500rpm it gets smooth

10. Kbroom

Yes he said no vibration with the noise of old torq converter

11. Kbroom

I checked plugs and compression 2 plugs was black suit and all cylinder was 150 compression

12. iicap

Does Your distributor have a Vacuum Advance unit on it and is it hooked up?? IF YES, disconnect and plug the hose to it. Start engine and do the same test checking for the vibration. Is it exactly the same or changed or gone?? This is just to see/test, if the vacuum unit is Over Advancing the spark, which could give an intermittent vibration by sending the spark to soon. Not forgetting about converter causing vibration, just making sure the advance curve is not a contributor. Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >