Engine won’t Fire

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by RP67F100, Feb 1, 2024.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RP67F100

Been trying today to get my 67 running, not sure what’s not happening.
    The 76 302 has a new cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, carb, intake and distributor.
    Cam and timing gears were aligned dot to dot
    I’ve rechecked firing order, top dead center and number one cyl multiple times.
    Got power to the HEI distributor and spark at the plugs
    Got oil pressure, so lifters should be pumped up
    But all I get is some popping in carb, but no big back fire and will not fire off.
    Any ideas ??? Please

Tags:
  2. RP67F100

Well found why engine won’t start, it has NO compression . Not sure yet but I think the new cam is holding the valves open , all cylinders are dead
    More diagnosis to come, if I’m correct not quite sure what to do to fix it. It has the fulcrum style rockers which aren’t adjustable. I’ve read there may be a shim kit available for the rockers. Anyone familiar or have a suggestion?

3. Oldiesask

Could be the wrong lifters or the wrong push rods. Pull a valve cover and check for bent push rods, and try rotating them, to see if they feel free. If they are too tight, the valves can't close, so no compression. I have heard a lot of horror stories about lifters lately, the sellers are mislabeling them.

4. RP67F100

So I believe I may have timed the cam 180 out. I did line up the marks, but I don’t remember confirming number one as at TDC
    Going to do some more checking , but pretty sure I’ll be going back into the front of the motor

5. Oldiesask

Before tearing it apart, just try turning the distributer 180, the cam should be fine.

6. RP67F100

But I’ve got no compression on any cylinder, unless I’m missing something the distributor won’t change that

7. Oldiesask

If the cam is 180 out, it will be correct on the next rotation, it could be 60 off. If you used a multi-index chain sprocket, one with 3 keyways, you could have lined up the wrong dot.
    Set the engine on TDC, and remove the valve cover for #1, to check the valves, rotate the crank in both directions, intake will start to open BTC, exhaust should start ATC. If not, rotate the crank 1 revolution and try again. If neither one works, the chain is set wrong.

Is the cam stock or close?

8. RP67F100

Thanks I will try that tomorrow Pretty sure it’s only one key way
    It is close to stock, edelbrock performer series made by comp cams. Advertised as smooth idle

9. Oldiesask

Sorry for disappearing, I got pulled away. That cam should be okay with a stock valve train, but I once had binding with a fairly mild grind, so if the chain appears okay, check for spring bind, clearance between coils, but that is unlikely with that grind. If you have to reset the chain, use the keyways for a reference, both should be straight up if I recall right.
    I hope not to be too basic, but I don't know where your comfort level is with this stuff.

10. RP67F100

Thought I was pretty comfortable with it but now I question myself. Need to slow down and recheck before I reassemble. Thanks for the help. mill be back on it tomorrow will let you know what I find

11. RP67F100

So worked on truck all day today, found the problem for no compression, the crank gear I used had 3 key way slots and I got it on the wrong one . When I lined it the cam mark number 1 wasn’t at TDC.
    So I put a chain and gear set in with only one key way slot. Got it mostly back together and it fired
    So we’re headed in the right direction now

IMG_2902.jpeg #ad

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  12. Oldiesask

That's the multi-index gear, it is designed so you can alter the cam timing, I will spare you the long story. Glad you got it sorted out now.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >