Extreme Speed Crash Test - 120 MPH

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Greywolf, May 15, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

The crash testing we are familiar with involve crush zones, and so on, at speeds of 40 MPH or less.
    What is the path of the engine block, when/if it exits from the force of impact?
    How well do the crush zones protect the cabin area?

But modern cars travel at far higher speeds. They are capable of far exceeding the speed limits of even the fastest highways. What happens when a compact car is -"COMPACTED" at the maximum speed it is built to go?

Watch and see

Tags:
  2. Paul Masley Founding Member

As an insurance investigator, I just chuckle at some of the videos I have watched for GOOBERMENT test. Investigate a headon at 60 mph each. Usually there is no survivors and you can only identify the vehicle by what is left of their ass. Yeah that impact is 120 mph. When speed go up, say to 80, nothing is left, especially when a smart car hits a 250 or bigger. It will replace the engine block in the 250, driving the block through and hopefully as designed, down through the cabin. There will be no survivors in the smart car, maybe some in the 250, but they will be messed up for life. I cannot remember the g-force, but it is up there and seat belts and airbags cannot stop that kind of force, only cripple the the wearers. I watched in tears one night at a scene while first responders cut two teenagers out of a Caprice that hit a Tractor trailer head on. The front of the car was in the back seat. the Tractor driver was killed as the ass of the Caprice came up and through the windshield of a long nose Pete. It took 14 hours to cut them all out.

I will say this. To hell with the unibody cars. If I am in a crash, I want a full length frame like under my Vic. At least I may have a sporting chance of being carried away alive!

3. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i agree Paul. these unibody cars are garbage. i will take a 60 pontiac catalina or ventura over one of these sardine cans any day.

4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

When it comes to safety I'll bet on crumple zones, side impact bars, strong a-pillars, air bags, and reinforced safety cage passenger compartments over nostalgia any day.

2009 Malibu would survive, person in the 1959 Chevy Bel Air

Even this Civic does better against a full size truck verses that 1959 Chevy.

GM 1968 crash tests. Extremely dangerous, seats come unbolted, passenger compartments collapse, door latches come apart and people are thrown out, gas tanks explode, etc.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

one thing they did not tell the general public about that 59 bel air/ 09 malibu test is that the 59 bel air was a total rust bucket that was not even road worthy. it was crashed in that test because it would not pass a safety inspection due to excessive body rust that made it structurally unsafe

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Yeah whatever - in a nutshell if you drive stupid you die.

The big problem is what you do if OTHER people drive stupid...

All the way back in Drivers Ed in High School - they taught us to look as far ahead as we could, to see not only road hazards but stupid drivers.

All I can tell you is to keep an eye all around you...

Myagi's advice is still good:
    "NO BE THERE"

Your best defence is to foresee bad situations and avoid them. Look far ahead, and anticipate trouble

I never listen to the radio on the road or CD's, and I definitely never answer a cell phone, I listen to the engine and tires. Those who divorce themselves from driving are the most likely to wreck

To me - driving is the only thing I ought to be doing, and I want to do that well

NO DISTRACTIONS

I love what the car is

I remember my mother telling me that once you get over learning to drive - it isn't magical anymore. It's just something you have to do. But I don't agree with that anymore...

I think that when driving isn't any fun anymore - you have lost the essence of it. When that happens you have to re-discover it in some way, and that is what I have done with my small cars, rediscover the essence.

~It's as close as you can come to racing without being a national or international licensed racer

Yeah - the cockpit noise is loud. But I love it!

"OH LOOK- A BUTTERFLY!!!"
    ***SSSNNNIKKKERRREZZZ***

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    whomrig likes this.
  8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

The people who put on the test say it was a structurally sound car they looked for and bought. http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0
    Also the car came from Indiana a state where they don't have safety inspections, so it couldn't have been a car that failed safety inspection.

We drive more miles per year than ever, on roads that are more crowded, yet fewer people are dying in cars thanks to huge advances in safety. You're 500% more likely per mile in a car made in 1965 than a new car, and that's assuming the old car is in brand new condition.
    deaths.png #ad

9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Does that take into account that people drive less because of rising fuel prices?

I expect they a lot less people going on road trips these days because the cost of gas is tremendous

~And that has to impact the statistics

MORE MILES? I don't think so.

Private cars running are fewer, because it costs too much.

I think that a lot of those stats have to do with people driving less than they used to do

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Actually, people drive more now than they did 50 years ago. And it wouldn't matter if they did drive less, because the number of deaths is per 100 million miles, 100 million miles is 100 million miles any way you look at it.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r...ansportation_statistics/html/table_01_40.html
    A heck of a lot more miles driven now.

If you look at all the major drops in fatalities, they all coincide with either voluntary or mandated safety advances. Like 1966 seatbelts, and 1968 shoulder belts (and collapsible steering columns the same year). Big drops in the 30s and 40s had to do with things like glass advances, more enclosed and substantial cabs, etc.

Through the 80s and 90s with upcoming mandates for drivers side then passenger side air bags, you see a constant drop as more and more cars came with them, plus crumple zones becoming standard part of the design process of every new design that came on the market. Plus anti-lock brakes. In the 90s and 2000s up till now, stronger safety cages and more air bags added, plus the new advanced braking systems are really helping out.

11. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i wish i could find the report i read back when they did that test Ken.
    it had that "it was a clean low mileage rust free" statement in it, then it also went on to say that that was a lie to mislead the general public.

who knows which one was true, but my gut feeling has always been to not believe media when they say one thing and then someone who has nothing to gain by trying to prove the media wrong.

12. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

not denying this either.
    but it is making for a dumbing down of drivers. because they are "driving safer cars" they no longer have to pay attention to driving.

whomrig likes this.
  13. whomrig TOTM Winner Founding Member Southwest Chapter

Greywolf said it here, I am not liking to drive near what I used to, due to the idiots out there

14. Paul Masley Founding Member

When I was working, I was averaging 50K a year, now that I have retired, instead of having the oil changed sometimes twice a month, I now go 4 sometime 5 months. I think I put 4K on Vickie last year. What a change. Tires now expire instead of being worn out. Yes, I just replaced a set. Had them 18 months, they were halfway worn. LOL The shop thought I was crazy. He put my tires on his car. Oh well, hope he makes them wires. I put my safety first.

But Ken is right. Vehicle safety has greatly improved, it is the dumbasses out there that have gotten more careless. To many distractions. I do listen to my stereo loud, I love Southern rock. Nothing like a good jam and play with the traffic. And yes, I am still a fast driver. I am not happy unless I am rolling about 85 on the interstate. That big land crusier I have loves it too. People tell me that it uses gas. Really, a 2 ton car, travel 360 miles on 17 gallons of gas. Not to shabby when the average speed on the trip was 76 mph. You can have your econo boxes, I will stick with my full frame vehicle.

15. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i had a guy tell me there was no way my crown vic could get 31 MPG.
    so the next time i went to delaware i invited him to go for the ride. fueled up with him in the car before leaving, and fueled up when we got back before dropping him off.
    he still said there was no way possible that a "big gas guzzler" could get 32 MPG as he hand calculated the MPG.
    the secret is setting the cruise control on 60, and no fast starts off the toll booths.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >