2021 F350 front bumper skirt

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by JRHill, May 14, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JRHill

Some years back I had a Charger SRT that I learned to be extra careful with because it was so low. But those were city days.

Now living deep in the woods I don't expect to have clearance problems with a F350. The darned skirt barely clears a standard parking spot curb/stop. Its broken in a few spots from snow and other such nonsense. Of course I am going to remove it, one of these days. But my question is: What was Ford thinking? What could be the design need for this piece of plastic? All I can think of is it diverts some airflow from under the rig and maybe causes more airflow through the engine compartment.

I chuckle at what it would cost to replace it just to break another....

Tags:
  2. DonW

Ford will tell you it’s for aero, to help fuel mileage. I suspect it probably does, will probably save about 20 gals in the lifetime of the truck!!!! Lol
    In actuality you look behind it and te”here are 2 “horns” behind that skirt. The government mandates them to prevent the truck from running over the top of a vehicle if you hit them or they hit you.
    Remove the skirt the truck looks like crap without it, especially with those horns hanging down in my opinion. Remove the horns and run over someone and kill them, you’ll look bad in prison for about 10-20!

3. JRHill

I really would avoid driving over a little car - it would wreck my whole day. And no, I wouldn't remove any downward frame protrusions. I haven't dropped the skirt but the guards seem like they would be handy to protect steering, etc. Screw the beauty.

Fuel mileage? Hah! I sometimes can hit 14mpg if I reset the average on a highway trip and I drive slower than most. But coming up and down logging trails once ruins that average and that is to home. For the record I like this rig. Smaller V8. 10 speed. Rear lock up. All the power I'd ever need. I've pulled some heavy loads of hay/logs but I don't have to worry about highway speed over the continental divide. Medium duty off road rigs would be a maintenance headache and under weight for pulling or even here and back. That's why we both drive the F250/350.

We do very little big city driving. Locally (75+ miles) every one else drives large pickups of whatever flavor. But that's where we live. But we are a small %.

4. DonW

Well i’m releived you wouldn’t intentionally drive over someone!!! I didn’t say I necessarily agree with the reasoning of the skirt.I mean it’s against the law to remove the horns because the truck is so high but it’s legal to put a 6-8” lift kit on it!!!

5. JRHill

Don't try to apply logic.

6. DonW

You’re the one asked “what is ford thinking”?

7. kjw84fxr

In actuality you look behind it and te”here are 2 “horns” behind that skirt. The government mandates them to prevent the truck from running over the top of a vehicle if you hit them or they hit you.
    Remove the skirt the truck looks like crap without it, especially with those horns hanging down in my opinion. Remove the horns and run over someone and kill them, you’ll look bad in prison for about 10-20![/QUOTE]

DonW likes this.
  8. kjw84fxr

[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, how come the tremors do not have them and they are higher ?

9. MissouriJoe

7F61D171-0922-4CED-96D9-4A138AE46F74.jpeg #ad
    CE52482D-248D-499B-8002-F7657531569B.jpeg #ad
    FF7D4590-FC87-4D22-8E19-1C2D1B712B9D.jpeg #ad
    If that is the case, how come the tremors do not have them and they are higher ?[/QUOTE]
    The explanation I read somewhere else is that the requirement for the “Prius Catchers” was based on GVWR, which is supposedly why Tremor can not ordered with lowest GVWR. I have beard cutoff is 10,000 pound but some heavier trucks still have them, but reportedly F450s don’t. My ‘22 had them, but I replaced the original valence with one from Tremor. A 2WD valence could be used too. It is in between two sizes. Some people just cut them. The frame extrusions are bolted on as they have to come off to mount snow plows. I have not noticed a decrease in fuel economy on my diesel, but I assume there is a slight difference. If I kept original on it would have been broken and flapping in wind does not help fuel economy. I like the way it looks so it is worth it. Last picture is with Prius catchers still on, ugly and catches wind.

10. DonW

If you’re happy….I love it!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >