Veterans Zone FEMALE VETERANS - what about them?

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Greywolf, May 12, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

A lot of what we see is about GUYS shot up in war - but what about the Ladies?

I'm betting they are a lot harder to reach, a lot more affected, and it needs someone special to find and to talk to them.

PEGGY?

I need your help and compassion here.

I wouldn't even know what to say or how to do that right.

How could I? I'm a guy

BLAST ME FOR NOT THINKING OF THIS SOONER! It seems so obvious....

Tags:
  2. macman_85602

Women officially in combat is a fairly recent thing.

I don' t thing the VA or the military is prepared to deal with the injuries, mental or physical, that are being sustained. But in reality they are not prepared to take care of the male injuries ether. With the current state of medical care more wounded solders are surviving what would of been fatal wounds.

Not sure if this made sense.

Scott

3. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

No - I think you are on to something there, and I believed so when I popped open this thread.

In certain parts of the world a woman is viewed far differently than in the western world, and that is not the only thing that makes a big difference.

They themselves see things differently than guys - so there is a whole new field of psychology involved.

Another thing that makes a difference is basic fundamental biology. We are built different.

Whether female soldiers, sailors, and airwomen need more or less care I don't know. But in my mind I see a damaged Lady coming home - and I can't imagine what to say or do.

I think the Ladies themselves need to chime in here. I'm just a stupid guy, what the hell do I know?

We are common people alienated to one another by a common need to make more of us - each has a unique view of the situation. :cool:

4. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I don't think they need more or less care, just different care than the guys. As you mentioned, they're just wired different. That means fixing the wires takes a different approach.

I think another big part has to do with mindset going in, and that's not just for the ladies. In decades past, the boys in infantry were the ones getting shot up and coming home shell shocked, but they were in infantry so they at least knew going in that it was coming. Now we've got police action stuff where there may not be any real geographical difference between front lines and the rear echelons. Folks in the rear don't go in planning on getting all shot up, so they've got one more mental hurdle to overcome than the infantry folks from years past.

5. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

6. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Keep it coming. I've known quite a few military Ladies from several backgrounds - techs, SEABEES, Marines, you name it.

And they are generally speaking a cut above the norm.

~But still...

*insert "I DUNNO" smiley here*

7. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I'm probably gonna piss some folks off, but oh well.

You are right. Women are "wired" different than men. Anyone who says different is full of it. Although there are women who come home and get on with their lives, just like some men do, war and combat are a little different for women. Scientifically/genetically men and women each think differently, Inherently, men are the "thinkers" and "fixers." They analyze, interpret, weigh options, and do something. When faced with a perceved problem, men generally just want to solve the problem. Women, on the other hand, are creative, emotional and intuitive. Women sense, interpret, empathize and feel something. When faced with a perceived problem, women have to sense and feel the issue, then determine if there is something to do, how to do it, who will it affect, and so forth. It's in our basal animal make up. There's no right or wrong.

So, while men are generally better at stratigizing, "going from point a to point b" and moving on; women are better at getting the "feel" for the situation, judging the tone, and multitasking/trying to be sure everybody's happy. This is why I don't think women should be on the front lines, or why we shouldn't be running the show. I think women should be advisors and advocates. Behind the scenes encouraging, advising, and fortifying the men. Don't get me wrong, I think there are exceptional women AND men. Historically, that is the way it has been for millenia. Besides the fact that if all the women die in battle, there is no posterity. It only takes a few healthy males to repopulate a species provided there are enough females to diversify the gene pool. Simple science.

I believe that in day to day planning and operations, there isn't a whole lot of difference mentally. Physically, there's quite a bit! But, when it comes to combat, I think it breaks something in a woman's psyche. With a genetic predisposition to empathize and nurture, to participate in combat is counter intuitive for most women.

Do we deserve special treatment? no. Men and women need to get the help and services they need to heal. Men and women need to be given therapy, advise, encouragement, and support based on what each one needs.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Tall Timbers and 56panelford like this.
  8. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

So where do you stand on women in combat roles, which has traditionally been restricted? Be interesting to hear a women's perspective on this. My opinion is already formed, but I'd be interested to hear yours.

9. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

I don't think women should be in combat unless she specifically request it. Then I don't think she should be denied.

Tall Timbers and 56panelford like this.
  10. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I'd have to disagree with you there Peggy. A simple request shouldn't be sufficient. The requirement to meet the current physical and mental training parameters and test is still a must. If you can't pass muster, you shouldn't be allowed in. Regardless of gender.

56panelford and FTZ Peggy like this.
  11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't believe she meant those who were physically unfit, as that applies to men as well. But those who do qualify, if they request it. She'll have to clarify though, I'll get wacked with that rolling pin otherwise!

Tall Timbers and FTZ Peggy like this.
  12. FTZ Peggy Staff Member Vet Zone Founding Member

Absolutely! NO ONE who unfit for the extreme stresses of combat should be out there!

As far as women who request combat positions, I know that all of us have reasons for seeking combat rolls. And what comes to mind as far as a woman requesting a combat role: "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." We are notorious for plotting vengeance.

Tall Timbers likes this.
  13. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

....and staying on plan, I might add.

I will, also, add that The Queen is an effective multi-tasker. :nailbiting:

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  14. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I have little to add to the topic of "female" warriors other than to say that the 2 out of the 3 times I was injured in "hand to hand" combat (as a LEO) was by females. The "guy" was high on PCP and drunk to boot.
    If you were to run across a female "defensive tactics instructor", give her a wide berth as they most always looked for male "volunteers" for demonstrations.
    When my ballistic vest had the 3 layers penetrated, it was a female perpetrator with a spike.

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  15. F350-6 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

OK, let's continue the discussion. I have no argument that there are some females who are mentally and physically equipped for combat roles.

Are we talking about front line pull the trigger types or flying an air to ground combat mission type? What about when the inevitable happens and the female in combat gets captured? Torture is one thing, but men at least don't have to worry about winding up pregnant. Should we offer some sort of birth control for those being deployed? And speaking of pregnant, what do we do regarding the point in someone's life when they decide to become pregnant?

Do we kick them out of the infantry when they decide to get pregnant? Tell them they can no longer fly combat missions? How pregnant is the cut off date?

Current physical fitness standards in the military are different for men and women. Should that be changed or upheld for women who want to get into combat? Remember standards were established based on women not being in combat.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >