First 4x4 questions

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by labor, Mar 6, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. labor

I bought my first 4x4 last week, a 2005 F150 with 146,000 miles. Since I've never owned a 4x4 I don't know if this is normal or not.

When I put the truck in 4H or 4L, I expect it to feel tight and stiff turning sharp, but this happens even on dirt turning normal. It feels like it's not wanting to turn and almost like it wants to skip a tire on the dirt. Could this be from a maintenance problem or normal?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

welcome to FTZ.
    what you are feeling is normal on hard pack.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Make sure to not do that too much, you want a little "slip" for the drive train, or it will lock up, and break something.
    Use 2h unless there is something for the wheels to loose some traction in, then shift to 4h.
    as soon as it "jumps" like that, shift back to 2h

4l is for sand, deep mud, etc. NOT snow

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Oh, and welcome to FTZ, and watch out for that fat guy up there^^^^^^, the ugly falls off him .........:woot:

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Depending on the tires, and how sharp you turn, the front and back will always "fight" each other. Usually not enough to feel it off road. Bigger tires do it a little more, and I've noticed if you have a locking differential in back you can feel it more when turning.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

not true, and you know it..

the uggly rubs off. you have to get close enough to catch it.

dustybumpers likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >