First Oil Change

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by RunningRigging, Mar 13, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RunningRigging

Greetings all,
    Well, I took delivery on a 2022 F250 XLT SC LB on March 1. Per manual the break in period is 1000 miles. I know that engine manufacturers usually use non synthetic oil for the break in period in order for the piston rings to seat reliably to the cylinder walls. It's been my practice over many years to change the oil just after the break in period, theoretically, to rid the crankcase of any metal filings, ect, from the manufacturing process. The manual lists oil changes every 10,000 miles. My gut instinct is to change the oil at 1000 miles then 10,000 and every 10,000 afterward. My question to my more savvy gearhead associates here is " Is my thinking correct?"
    I did do a search for similar question here, but didn't find anything. Thanks for your expertise and thoughts.
    Safe travels all.
    Gary

Tags:
  2. Mark2068

Sounds logical to me. What does the owners manual say about oil changes?

3. RunningRigging

Owner's manual says every 10,000 miles.

4. DonW

Guess I’m old fashioned….10,000 mikes seems too long.. oh, congrats RR!

RunningRigging likes this.
  5. mrbraq

I have 5,100 miles on mine and was just about to post the same question. Oil life is at 43% But I’m late based on your approach. I have any appointment for Friday.

What happened to the Every 3K miles rule??

6. RunningRigging

Every 3000 would be a lot of ( I think ) needless oil changes with full synthetic. Owner's manual says every 10,000. Service guy at dealerships suggests every 6,000. Not sure which way I'll go from here. Would like to hear more from fellow owners who are probably more savvy than me. :)
    g

DonW likes this.
  7. Biffster

I have found that with my 2017 F250 with the 6.7 Diesel, the oil monitoring system calls for an oil change about 7,500. I will say if you are more comfortable with more frequent changes, I am one of those, go for it. Also, it depends on your driving conditions. Clean, highway miles = longer intervals (Within specs) Dirty, Dusty conditions, in-frequent use = more frequent.
    Seems to me you have good knowledge on what needs to be done. Go with your gut!

DonW and RunningRigging like this.
  8. Woodrow

Live and drive on gravel roads daily. My dealer said to do 1st oil change at 2,000 mi every 5,000 miles after. He said with full synthetic you can go that long between oil changes.

mrbraq likes this.
  9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford hasn't recommended a break-in oil change for a very long time. They do recommend a break-in period with how you drive it, but otherwise the oil change interval is normal. The change minder is pretty accurate because it takes driving conditions into consideration. Dirt roads won't make a difference on oil changes... they make a difference on air filter changes --- if the air filter was letting that dust through your oil would be the least of your problems because used oil analysis would show high silica rates and likely high iron from the wear it would cause.

The "3000 mile" rule hasn't been around for 30 years, they've recommended higher when engines with tighter tolerances became the normal, because they had less blow-by contaminating oil. The oil change companies are the only people who still recommend 3000 mile intervals because 5000 mile intervals cut their profits by 40% and 7500 intervals cuts it by 60%.

I've taken it to 10K with full synthetic and used oil analysis said it still had life left it. Even my supercharged truck with full synthetic could go 7500 miles between changes and show very good oil analysis results.

mrbraq and RunningRigging like this.
  10. RunningRigging

Although in the past my schedule with cars/trucks has been every 5 thousand. I'm seriously considering holding Ford to their owner's manual recommendation of every 10. Part of my figuring is that at almost 71 years old now, even with changes every 10,000 miles, the engine will STILL outlive me!
    FTZ HAIC.... I like your flag tag!
    F250 Flag.jpg #ad

11. DonW

Great info and I agree with every word. I also hadn't heard the phrase "break in oil change" for yrs. My dealer does all of my oil changes, always puts the sticker on the windshield for 5,000 miles. Oil life indicates says oil life is around half. I usually let it go at least 7,000 miles, maybe more. Carfax sends out reports saying how wonderful I am for maintaining excellent car of my vehicle!! Hey! Running Rigging I have a yr on you buddy and I fully plan on giving my engine a run for it's money!!! LOL

12. RunningRigging

DonW..... BRAVO!! :)
    G

13. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Check out bobistheoilguy.com if you aren't familiar with it. It's a wealth of information about oil. I visit maybe 1-2 times per year, but there are many real hard core oil people there!

I use https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for oil analysis. I don't use them every change because it's about $30 and you lose any savings by extending intervals if you're paying for analysis every change. It is good for long term trends. They'll tell you about iron and copper content which will tell you about the condition of piston rings and bottom end bearings, plus each analysis comes with any notes and recommendations from the testing tech. With diesels its really worth it, since they run about 3+ gallons of oil!

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Thanks. :)

15. mrbraq

Dealer told me 5k and put in the synthetic blend. Thoughts on going full synthetic for more money and waiting longer next time?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >