First thread

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by JWC 3, Apr 21, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Upgrade your fuel lines ! I have seen many older Ford products Burn to the ground because of fuel line issues .
    Upgrade to fuel injection rated fuel line . So , it costs more ... It can save heartache down the road !

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Its especially important these days due to the ethanol added to gas, since it attacks regular rubber.

JWC 3 likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Many things to consider when driving an older vehicle .
    Strange thing ... In My area , parts are more easily found for my 78 than a 2008 !

56panelford likes this.
  4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Back then cars, and trucks across Ford's product line shared everything from alternators to door knobs, makes things much easier to fix!

5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I work on modern cars and trucks for a living .
    I drive a 78 F100 .... Wife has an o4 Mounty .
    It is nice to work on the older ones time to time . More parts can be fitted , as you mention , Less specific .

56panelford likes this.
  6. BKW Founding Member

Excepting 1967 F100/350's that had dozens of one year only parts.

MIL1ION likes this.
  7. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I would also say .... pay Close attention to the condition of your WIRING ! Headlamp switches and boogered wiring cause issues in these older trucks ...
    Better safe than sorry . Oh . Pack a Fire Extinguisher close at hand , just in case !
    I keep one in my truck at all times .

56panelford likes this.
  8. mikeo0o0o0 Founding Member

That's good advice for even late model cars. I've seen a lot of late model cars burn to the ground because of fires caused by the high pressure fuel systems on modern cars.

JWC 3 likes this.
  9. blueoval100 Founding Member

Ok, so for those of us who simply refuse to work on anything newer than mid 70's...just what kind of fuel line do the fuel injected cars use ?? And is there anything special we need to do to use it?
    +1 on the fire extinguisher..well worth it and costs so little for so much piece of mind.

10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Fuel injection rated hose stands up to higher pressure and is less likely to spring a leak . Beside the dizzy , finding an igniton source , burning the vehicle to the ground .

56panelford likes this.
  11. blueoval100 Founding Member

Thanks ! Just picked up a couple of feet of this hose today since i was changing out the carb. Looks more or less like good old fuel hose but uses a tougher inner webbing and the rubber compound is different. Not as inexpensive as regular hose but a worthwhile investment.

JWC 3 likes this.
  12. Nod

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel line as I have a leak in the fuel line above the mid ship tank on my 73 F-350 SCS and am trying to find the time to drop the tank and fix the line.

13. Nod

Finally dropped the mid-ship tank in my 73 F-350 SCS today and found my fuel leak. In my haste to repair the mid ship fuel sender and all hoses a few years ago,I overlooked the 5" x 3/8" fuel line that connects the rear hard line to the fuel switch hard line. This line is clipped to the frame rail behind the mid-ship tank and is probably the original hose. It had several cracks and just dripped fuel out until it drained all the fuel it could, probably explains the drop in fuel mileage over time. My next repair will be the AC in my 71 F-100 4X4 SB Custom then repaint the hood on the 73 SCS before next Winter.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >