Fixing up an old truck

Discussion in '1957 - 1960 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by cnebuda, Sep 30, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. cnebuda

I am 15 years old and have been into cars, trucks, mechanics and everything, and I would like a project for over the winter/next summer. I know quite a but about engines and everything, me and my step dad have have done various things with cars and stuff and he has taught me alot. My uncle would give me his 1957 f100 4x4 for only 500$ and i was thinking about getting it running and fixed up. It has a 289, automatic, and has various things done to it, and was turned into an offroad truck. It has also been sitting in my dads barn for 10+ years without running. How would anyone go about cleaning up the engine to get it running? Is there any procedures to go through before trying to run or start an old truck like this? I wish i had pictures of the engine and everything, but some of the pictures didnt transfer to my computer before I got a new phone,

P.S - new to Ftz, and it seems pretty cool! So if this is the wrong section for this post or anything, Let me know!

Here are some pics-

IMG_1342.JPG #ad
    IMG_1343.JPG #ad
    IMG_1345.JPG #ad
    IMG_1346.JPG #ad
    IMG_1344.JPG #ad

Tags:
    Greywolf likes this.
  2. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

As a '57 lover (my dad had one) I would be all over that pickup for $500.

Welcome to FTZ! And thanks for posting the pictures, that is an awesome '57.

If it was running when it was parked and the engine isn't stuck, it probably wouldn't be too big a deal to get it started. Once it's running it's much easier to evaluate what needs work first.

3. Fabman In Memoriam Vet Zone Staff Alumni Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Welcome to the ZONE! Looks like a good project for you. First thing would be to clean everything up and find any problems. Try and turn the engine over with a bar from the front of the engine to see it it's locked up. If it will turn over, remove the spark plugs and squirt some light oil or Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn it over a few times to lube things up. Any questions just ask. Everyone here is more than willing to help!

4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Oh man - that is so sweet....

YEAH!

DO IT!

You will never forgive yourself if you pass it up.

JWC 3 likes this.
  5. NRA4ever Founding Member

Id clean it up & check the wiring before I put lots of money in it. If it looks bad replace the wiring harness first. I've seem 2 nice old rides burn to the ground because they redid everything but the wiring.

JWC 3 and clux like this.
  6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Welcome to the site!

I would love to have that truck!
    what a find!
    We will be glad to help you get it running!

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A complete R&R of expendables:

New oil & filter (including flushing engine), spark plugs, air filter, transmission fluid & flush, belts, radiator coolant change, etc.

8. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Anything made out of rubber is due to be renewed, and that includes vacuum lines

JWC 3 likes this.
  9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

anything mice can build nests in needs to be cleaned out. especially if in an air cleaner

10. helifixer TOTM Winner Southwest Chapter

I would be on that truck like stink on s---!

11. cnebuda

Just got the truck. How much do you think it would cost to flush all the fluids, get new coolant, re build the card, get new brake lines, new belts, and maybe new wiring? Just basically enough to make it a reliable school transport. Not looking forward to getting new tires if those are dry rotted lol

12. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't know the total right off the top of my head, I'd have to price the stuff via Walmart.com (for fluids, they are the least expensive place) and Rockauto with a coupon code they have here on the forums for parts. Price shop them against competitors, I'll bet they come out less.

For brake lines I wouldn't worry about replacing them unless they show signs of rust externally, or internally (such as the fluid being brown when you bleed the brakes).

13. clux Article Contributor Founding Member

Looks like bias tires to me, if they are after sitting that long you will look forward to getting new tires after you drive on them.

14. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Looks like a very nice barn find!

15. LMS Residential Founding Member

motivational pic. welcome to ftz.

[​IMG]#ad

dustybumpers, JWC 3 and FTZ HAIC like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >