Fluids

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by Cooper, Jun 24, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Cooper

Hi all,
    I’m new on here and to truck restorations.
    I’m trying to bring back to life a 48 F-68(f-3) .
    The engine turns over so before I fire it up I want to give it the best chance.
    I have drained the oil that was in it and am looking to put some new oil in. What type and how much oil do you recommend/use?
    Also what coolant should I put in it?
    Thank you.

F5A3BDB1-9121-40DD-895B-EA2AE6853E7A.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. iicap

Hi Cooper, Welcome to FTZ.

The first MUST on a truck that has been sitting a long time. Don't even try to start/run it with the gas that is in the tank. Old, old gas turns to varnish and if you get it thru the fuel system and possibly get it to run, it can make the intake valves stick/lock up to the valve guides. I know your original engine is Flathead 6 or 8. If it were Overhead valve, you would bend the push rods.

In 48 there were no multi viscosity oils, just SAE -10, 20, 30 and possibly 40 weight. Assuming you are in a warm climate this time of year, Use SAE-30. After you run it and can get an idea of the engines over all condition, you might be able to go to SAE-10W-30 or 10W-40

On Coolant, just original Green Prestone, Zerex or some other brand so long as original Old Style Green anti-freeze. System should have 50/50 mix anti freeze and water. You want to have a good correct # radiator pressure cap suitable for a recovery system. Later on, adding a coolant recovery bottle/tank is a great up grade.

Come back with any questions, we'll try our best to help you.

Let us know how you make out, we like "the rest of the story" Cap

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Much like @iicap's suggestions, I'd go with standard green coolant with a good flush first because no doubt there's probably a lot of scale over the years!

I'd run a good detergent oil through it the first oil change round.

Oil fog the intake through the carb. Then a little bit of oil into each cylinder through the spark plug holes, then let it sit on the rings for a day or so, turning the engine a few times manually with a breaker bar. Make sure it turns nice and smoothly before you let the starter have a go at it!

iicap likes this.
  4. Cooper

Thank you iicap and FTZ HAIC,
    I’ll figure out how much oil I’ll need and get started.

I have a 50/50 mix of coolant on hand so I’ll use that also, after a flush of course.

It’s a flat 8 so I’m looking forward to hearing it run.

No need to flush the old gas as the tank and the tailgate were the only things missing from the truck when I bought it.

thanks again.

I will post more pictures as I go.

5. iicap

Your on your way! I'm curious, the engine in your truck, are the water outlets on the heads in the center or up front closer to the radiator?? Thanks, Cap

6. Cooper

In the centre by the headers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
Tags: