Foam smell /

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by mete, Mar 31, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mete

New guy ! My 2009 F-150 has served me well but now has a problem. The foam in the seats is deteriorating , breaking down , and the chemicals produced I'm allergic to.
    This type of thing is nothing new as foam in the '50s and 60s would in time crumble into a yellow powder !
    Any suggestions ?

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Ask a good detail shop and an interior shop what they suggest. Possible to rebuild your seats.

56panelford likes this.
  3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Junk yard, and get a set of new to you seats for it......

56panelford likes this.
  4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I was thinking if the op. was having a reaction, new may be a better option.
    Salvage is an option for most.

56panelford likes this.
  5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

How have you determined you're allergic to the smell, what kind of reaction?

Look into Durafoam or some other replacement, because if OEM foam truly is causing an allergic reaction than replacing it with OEM seat foam is only postponing it until it happens to the replacement foam in a few years.

6. mete

I've had allergies long enough for me to know.But these rubber deteriorations happen fast !! After all I drove the truck for 9 years with no problems, then suddenly it changed . Took a while to figure out what and where but I've confirmed it .
    Some with serious allergies buy a stripped van and make additions as they are able. But owning a pick-up lets me carry things that aren't safe for me.
    Thanks !

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Oh I'm not saying you weren't allergic! I'm just wondering what the symptoms are? I wonder if it's a polyurethane allergy, that's what the foam seat foam is made of. Or adhesives used in the seat.

If you get a new cushions you might consider asking for a 2011+ cushion, Ford changed to foam made from soy oil in all 2011+ vehicles.

8. mete

Allergy symtoms can be almost anything ! Most of mine are neuro-muscular.Don't get involved with the "typical symtoms " game. I assume it's polyeurethane but very difficult to separate that from any additive which would also be there. I need a rubber engineer to explain things to me .
    I did know Ford has been using " organic" foams recently but i've just found my problem and have to search.
    Anyone know a good source ? My upholstry guy moved to AZ unfortunately.

9. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Wish I could help with a source, but I haven't had a need for an upholstery guy since 2005 or so. :(

10. mete

Replacement foam from Ford would only be polyeurethane for 2009-2010, 2011 starts the new organic soy stuff but also different dimentions !

11. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Well that stinks, you'd have to replace the entire seat, not cheap!

Okay, did some checking. It seems that many of the aftermarket cushion replacements are made with "Durafoam". I looked it up, and found this:

http://www.monmouthrubber.com/physical-properties-rubber-plastics-sponge-foam/
    I guess depending on which Durafoam they use you might not have an allergy to it. Especially neoprene or nitrile, many people have no problems around it who are allergic to latex rubber (my wife is allergic to latex but has no problems with neoprene and nitrile).

12. mete

Much depends on the additives . With FDA rubber they can't use any additives oon the FDA bad guy list [ not acceptable for use near food ]. That helps but you still have to test it.
    With the ever increasing use of chemicals in our environment , in the last 10 years the allergy and cancer rates have increased 20 % !!

13. mete

The 'soy oil ' foam is only partially made of soy , the rest is polyurethane !!

14. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I think they are caught between a rock and a hard place. People want the green "feel good" about natural made products.... yet they also want the longevity of a synthetic product.

JWC 3 likes this.
  15. Grudge Match Founding Member

Did you find a good replacement? My seat foam is collapsing and needs replacing. If I can find something better why not use it!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >