Foot off and gentle start stalling

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by mvpjohnson, Jun 7, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. mvpjohnson

Hello,

New guy here. I have a truck that keeps stalling out. Truck has original 460 w/ 57k miles. Was well cared for but rarely driven more than 5 - 10 miles at a shot when it was driven. Just replaced tires & wheels, upsized +1.

Since the tires & wheels were replaced (not that I think there is a connection) the truck stalls out, once warm, when you take your foot off the gas (to coast under 15 mph), hit the brakes or when gently coming off the line after a full stop. Starts right back up every time but am afraid to drive it for safety reasons.

What has been done so far: EGR ("work"), vacuum check, torque converter (replaced) and many more hours spent attempting to diagnose - all performed by 2 local Midas shops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Michael

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It might be the idle air control valve, it keeps the engine at a minimum running RPM when it's not under any load. I'd test the throttle position sensor as well with a multimeter.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso