Water dripping from muffler/exhaust

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by KTM, Nov 22, 2020.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. KTM

Hello all, first post here...

After 9 years in my 2011 F250 SD diesel, The rust monster was taking over, so I decided to get a 21 F250 with the 7.3 V8. I ordered it in late September, picked it up on November 3rd, and other than the mileage, I love it. I moved from a standard cab 8' box, to an extra cab with the 8' box, I could not be more pleased!

Now, for the question...
    It's been sunny and dry here for the most part of the last few weeks, Friday, when I got home from work I noticed a puddle of water under my truck, and didn't think much about it. I went out Saturday morning, and when I got home I noticed it dripping. I looked under the truck and noticed water dripping out from the inside of the mid muffler? Sorry, I'm not a car guy, so I'm not sure if it was the muffler, or one of the cats? Either way, after having the truck for a few weeks, this was the first time I noticed this, and the truck is parked on concrete most of the time, so a wet spot would be easily noticeable.

Any thoughts? I want to think it's normal, but water coming from the inside doesn't seem like it would be?

I've enjoyed reading the threads here, and hoping I get to avoid the death wobble, and some of the other issues I've read about here. Any advice, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

condensation in the exhaust. it is normal on most vehicles to one degree or another.

KTM likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

^^^ That!

Both overnight condensation and a small amount of water is a by-product of the combustion process. Water in the combustion condenses when it hits the exhaust pipe and a muffler when they are cool. After it warms it up stays in steam form.

KTM likes this.
  4. KTM

Thanks to the both of you!

5. DonW

This is why my dad had to change his old untreated metal muffler every couple years..

KTM likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >