Ford Anti-sway system question

Discussion in 'Towing, RV's, Campers and 5th Wheels' started by RunningRigging, Nov 16, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. RunningRigging

OK, OK, so I've ordered a 2022 F250 that has Ford's "trailer sway control". Yet to be put into production. Not sure what that is. Anyway....
    Yesterday I bought a 2020 Lance model 1995 travel trailer. Approximately 7000 pounds loaded. The owner of Hi-Way Campers in Plainfield, CT was our fantastic sales person. I inquired about buying a load leveling/anti sway hitch for this trailer and he told me that adding this device to the mix with Ford's anti-sway system would actually make the trailer sway more. That they work in opposition to each other. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks. :)
    Gary

Tags:
  2. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I don't have any personal experience with the newer anti sway system. I've seen where people are talking about it with a total mixed bag of opinions.
    Anderson seems to indicate that their system is not compatible with the anti-sway system.
    Some people are indicating that some anti-sway hitch say they have a red tag/sticker right next to the coupler warning to disconnect the Factory Anti Sway system when using their system.

I don't think I would do anything until you have the truck and put some miles on it pulling the trailer to see what extra money you may or may not need to spend.

RunningRigging likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Ford's system uses electronic gyroscopes to measure sway. It corrects by using a combination of left/right braking and engine input. An outside system can cause overcorrection.

The #1 way to stop sway is proper weight distribution with proper bias towards tongue weight, but not so much that it pulls the front of the truck up. With that, sway "auto corrects."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    RunningRigging likes this.
  4. RunningRigging

Thanks FTZ. Nuff said! Looks like I'll be saving the $500 or so on an anti-sway hitch! :)
    Gary

5. Obe Vet Zone

RunningRigging, I'm nearby you in Danielson. Yes, some anti-sway load leveling hitches have you deactivate the truck anti-sway control. I just had an EAZ-LIFT anti-sway load leveling hitch installed on my new RV (Camper's Inn Union) and it came with a warning tag to turn off the truck anti-sway function. The trailer menu on my 2019 F-250 allows you to uncheck the anti-sway control.

6. RunningRigging

Thanks for the input Obe. Another question for you, then. Once the truck's anti-sway program is turned off does it stay off until you re-activate it. Or does it re-activate itself every time the truck is turned off, then turned back on again. I think I read that somewhere, but not sure. Perhaps you have some first hand experience with this. The info would be very much appreciated. My KTM 390A motorcycle works like that, in that, one switches off the traction control when riding on loose surfaces. If you stall the bike out, the traction control automatically re-engages and you have to remember to switch it off again each time this happens.
    Thanks again for the input.
    Gary

7. Obe Vet Zone

It resets itself (re-activates) every time you turn the truck off whether the trailer is connected or not. On my 2019, if you start the truck with a trailer connected the screen defaults to the trailer tab (after the message Trailer Detected and the warning Cross-Traffic Warning de-activated). At that point the last trailer you had selected will be displayed (I have the RV and a utility trailer), hit the OK button and you can deactivate the Anti-Sway control again. It takes some getting used to remembering to turn it off every time.

8. RunningRigging

Thank you, Obe. I think I now have the definitive, first hand, answer to my question! ^-#
    Gary

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >