Ford Emissions Recall # 20E07

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by Pops91710, Jan 1, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Pops91710 Founding Member

Yesterday I found a letter in a pile on my desk. It was from FoMoCo dated October 2022. When it came I really have no idea! Anyway, it was to inform me of an emission recall # 20E07 saying I needed to update the SCR software.

I went online to plug my VIN into websites that check for recalls and every one of them came back "No unrepaired recalls associated with this VIN" which puzzles me. Why would Ford send me that letter?

I purchased my 2019 truck on December 30th, 2019 from the dealer here in Chino. I has only been back twice- once the week after I bought it for a steering stabilizer replacement and in October of 2020 to find out why my dash display would not show my trailer as attached. As far as I know, there was no recall 20E07 at that time, and even if there was I was not told of any software update nor did it appear on my service ticket. Should I believe these websites? One was a Ford dealer in Buckeye, AZ. (see photo)

I have seen online where others with the 6.7 complained after they had this software update claiming it caused high idle problems, excessive fuel consumption, and excessive exhaust smoke.

QUESTION: What have you heard about this recall 20e07? Has anyone had it done? Any problems?

BTW: I saw a YouTube video where a tech did the 20e07 update in his diesel shop on a 2018 6.7L and it did nothing to the idle or the exhaust.

Thanks to all and Happy New Year!!
    Recall check.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. DonW

I guess it doesn't involve parts, if it does the parts will be on back order anyhow, like my wiper arm on recall since last May.

3. Pops91710 Founding Member

I have an appointment with Chino Hills Ford today to get the software updated. The problem is it is not reversible if it causes any of the problems I mentioned.

4. Fordsprint92

My Ford Dealer did this emissions upgrade flash a few weeks ago. Now my 2017 F250 when it starts its fine, idles at about 650, but after it has run for a few minutes the idle climbs to 1000 and stays there until you either tap the throttle pedal or touch the brake pedal, then the idle returns to 650. It did not do this prior to or if it is even related to the emissions recall. Anyone else have this higher rpm issue?

5. Pops91710 Founding Member

Hmmm, I haven't driven it enough or let it idle very long since the software change to notice any changes. Could it be to keep the engine cooling better?

6. Obe Vet Zone

Yes, my 2019 does the idle RPM increase as well after the emissions update, but not all the time - only sporadically. As it is cold in my area, I do let the engine idle to warm up a bit and I have noticed the RPM increase on occasion. They did the update when I had the truck serviced for an exhaust gas recirc valve failure (come to find out that there was an active recall on the EGR valve but I was never notified).

7. Biffster

When I had to have the EGR replaced on my 2017, this past fall, they did a "Transmission" update as I was experiencing an infrequent odd downshift. They, Capital Ford of Wilmington (NC), said there was no recall for the ERG, although there was an "Update" bulletin for the transmission. EGR was replaced under the Drive Train / Engine warranty.
    Since then I have noticed lower Fuel Mileage and I think a slight up take in the usage of DEF.

8. Fordsprint92

So I have a question on the exhaust gas recirc valve failure . What was the clue that it needed replaced? I have noticed a exhaust smell while driving.

9. Biffster

I had the Check Engine Light. Then I scanned to see the code. While driving with the Check Engine light on, I don't see any difference in the engine performance.

10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It sounds like a common warm up strategy I've seen on many diesel PCM codes back to 2003.

When it's cold, it starts low while the oils is thick, increases RPM once it's slightly warm, then holds the high idle to fully warm (it will eventually drop on it's own). When you press the brake or throttle it drops it down to a normal RPM so you can drive it.

DonW likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >