FORD Festiva 1.6L 16V TURBO (XR2 Capri engine)

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Greywolf, Mar 17, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

It's on.....

I'm picking the car up this Saturday

$650.00, I saw the car running and driving three months ago

NOW!

How many of you thought:
    "Greywolf will never get his (S) together..."

?

~ Though I may post a lot more at www.fordfestiva.com

Old navy saying: "Pick a DIRECTION"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

never thought that. i was wondering when you were going to get your ducks in a row though.

56panelford likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Pictures to come?

56panelford likes this.
  4. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Tomorrows the day, so no cold adult beverages for skippy tonight. I'll be bringing the camera along for the ride

A Haynes manual came in the mail today

5. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

VIDEO!!!!!!!!

* And there is also an old FORD TRUCK badged as (NOT an F-100) but as a FORD 100

Here's the vid:

*I swear, the thing that is funny about the books is that that collection of manuals used on E-Bay or Amazon would be more than $200.oo

I think I got almost half the price of the car back right there - sometimes it just takes a good eye and a bit of insight. NOBODY could have done what Rick did without the tech info.

When I saw those old tatty books on a shelf in the shop, I nearly fell out...

I was pricing them online just last night!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

If you get one of the stock festivas , I got some sick tricks for extra power !
    Take a fuelie engine , a carb head , bump the timing ..... Stick shift ....
    Knarly little beast ! I built a few like that years ago .
    Raced one on an unsanctioned dirt track ! Kicked Ass !

56panelford likes this.
  7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

Well I got more news - did you notice the green car in the video?

If I'm not mistaken that engine is either a 2.0 or a 2.5L normally aspirated 16V 4CYL (F or L series Mazda).

~And that tells me that before Rick passed on, he was planning to drop it into another Festiva.

*The Mazda 323 manual had some notes in it that I swear mean that was exactly what he had in mind. I did some engine searches in wiki online last night that led directly to the same thing.

8. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Find what you can . I can help with Aspires an Festiva power mods ......
    Been there , had fun !

56panelford likes this.
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I heard an Aspire rear brake mod was a good idea - but I don't know how to tell if it has already been done.

I have a sense of the previous owner that he may have gone there and done it.

(He was not a fool)

*UNLIKE the PO of the Suzuki car. That kid was an unwashed or blooded PRICK!

"Stupid people shouldn't try to own cars..."

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  10. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

First look around and serious attempt to start it up.

It dawned on me just now that I can usually hear a fuel pump when the key is turned on - but I don't hear one in this car. That's going to be the first thing I look into.

I've watched that clip again and again, and to me it seems more and more like a "NO FUEL PRESSURE" issue. I'm not going to keep on wearing out the starter, I'll go right after the pump and relay first chance I get.

It was raining off and on today, and it dropped back down to forty with high winds at times (sorry about the noisy audio track, by the way) so it wasn't conducive to being out there for long this go around.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  11. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

There is a plate under the rear seat to axcess the fuel pump .

56panelford likes this.
  12. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

*The rear seat has to go anyway - for one thing it's useless, for another I'm going to DECK the back, with storage areas and hatches to get to them.

13. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I took the rear seat and passenger seat out of one I raced on dirt .
    I had one I drove daily years ago , I took out the back seat and used it like a truck .Lots of room for a small vehicle !

56panelford likes this.
  14. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I know for a fact you can store a crate motor that you are working on - pallet and all with headers on it - in the back of one. Because I did that with a Geo Metro in Norfolk years ago, and the back is about the same size. Might be just a scootch bigger, come to think.

But Festiva and Fiesta cars are more robustly built than Geos and Swifts, they can take more abuse.

I may just go out and measure it tomorrow, but I think they are a tad taller.

One thing I already found out - there are a lot less Festiva cars than Fiestas. They only sold them in the USA from '88 to around '94. That's kinda why it is very wrong to let any of them be crushed.

~Never trash what you can't find another one of!

PEGGY? Do you sometimes miss your Pinto? I just thought I'd ask....

But always remember to include "FUN" into the final choice

If you're not having fun, something is wrong.

And never knowingly saddle yourself with trash. Mom & Dads old heaps 99% of the time had to go...
    (Especially if they were stodgy and had no clue)

"K" cars are a four letter word, as are GLC's (Great Little Cars) and Pacers.
    "TORONADO" isn't even spelled right......

Pfffffffft!

DEFINITION: "OLDSMOBILE TORONADO"
    Caddy Eldorado for people without the cash

End result: China thanked us for the remains
    ~of both

*The transaxles were a thing to have, if you couldn't find a ZF7

500 - 510 inch caddy engine?
    ~Not modifiable junk, big as it was. Better to go with a 454 or 455 siamesed cylinder

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled "THREAD"

WOW people, learning the new engines is an ongoing process for me. It isn't like the old days :cool:

"THOW WRENCHES AT IT - AND GET A QUADRAJET TO PUT ON IT..."
    Them days is GONE...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  15. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

The aspire replaced them . Many parts interchange .

56panelford likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >