Ford oil filter

Discussion in '1948 - 1952 Ford F1, F2 and F3 Truck Forum' started by erzmo, May 1, 2022.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. erzmo Vet Zone

I have a 72 or 73 351 Cleveland motor in My 49 Ford pickup. The oil filter is mounted stock parallel to the ground just as My BB mopar. Removing the filter on the mopar gushes oil out of the filter and makes a mess. I removed the filter from the Ford and there was evidence of oil in it but less than an ounce dribbled out. If the oil drains back to the pan, wouldn't that give a false oil level reading on the dipstick? Is this normal ops for a 351 ? As a side note..the motor is only a 2bbl setup but it runs as sweet as any motor I ever had. As good as My BB mopar.

IM002797.JPG #ad

IM000483.JPG #ad

Tags:
  2. iicap

If your talking about changing the oil and filter, and your drain pan will not allow you to catch the oil from pan and filter at the same time, remove the filter first, then drain the pan. Suppose you could put the new filter on before draining the pan. Cap

A side note, some filters (better) have anti drain back valves built into them and might not spill much as you remove it

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Motorcraft is one of the filters that has an anti-drainback valve. For the price, you can't beat them.

That filter size holds about half a quart, so yeah if it's draining it'll give false reading. If you stick to about halfway on the marks you ought to be good either way.

captchas and iicap like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >