Ford tough

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by Kenneth Johnson, Jun 12, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Kenneth Johnson Founding Member

I was stopped a ways back at a red light today, when I took notice of a Chevy van approaching going the other way. My eyes went straight to his larger than normal side mirror while resigning myself to the fact I had no way to avoid the inevitable. Our mirrors collided, he was probably going around thirty miles an hour, and he probably caught me by about an inch. My mirror folded and snapped back into position, and he was long gone. When I got back to my job site I looked and could not find a shred of anything to indicate the mirror was struck. I can only hope his mirror was shattered. Another problem free day with my baby.

Tags:
    bigrigfixer and FTZ HAIC like this.
  2. BigdaddyII Founding Member

When I had my 2012 F150, I was backing into a tight space and slammed my driver side mirror into a building. It folded it backwards into the fender but didn't break the mirror itself. It did mangle the plastic a bit though.

It lasted that way for a year and a half until an arm on an automatic car wash smacked it and the glass fell out. When I first hit that building though I expected to have to buy a new mirror then.

3. BKW Founding Member

Built Ford tough: Has the fuel filler door fallen off? It's retained to the hinge with one tiny little tit.

Two weeks after I bought a new 2011 F150 Lariat Stupor Crew, when I opened the door at the gas station, it fell off.

Went to the dealer, showed the service writer the door, was told it couldn't be ordered until a pic was taken of it, then they'd have to wait until FoMoCo approved replacing it.

To hell with that, went home and epoxied the door onto the hinge in several places, then used duct tape to retain it in place.

Lariat has power folding mirrors. When I took it to the car wash, I folded the mirrors inwards, but once the truck passed thru, the dumb cluck at the end of the line pulled the mirrors out manually.

DON'T DO THAT I yelled, the mirrors are operated electrically, pulling them out by hand could mess up the mechanism. And so it did.

While driving home I went to adjust the R/H mirror glass, it moved in a series of jerks.

Never took the truck to a car wash again. Clay barred it, waxed it, then used a "California duster" to keep it clean. Whenever it looked dirty (which wasn't often as the truck was white), I anointed it was the clay bar and lubricant.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >