Ford Truck Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Aug 4, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've been at this since I was a young man, and I still learn something new all the time about Ford trucks. Sometimes it amazes me, I think to myself "hey, I should have known that already."

Today was one of those days. So I thought it would be fun to list something we've recently learned about Ford trucks, and something we've known for a long time:

Learned today:
    Cab-over Ford trucks were not designed that way to raise the driver, make engine work easy or give it a big truck look. The reason is due to various restrictions around the country on the length of trucks. By moving the cab over the engine they could shorten the front of the truck which would allow more length for cargo.

Have known:
    In 2004 Ford started using "quiet steel" in their F150 trucks. Quiet steel is a steel/laminate multi-ply material. It provides exceptional sound proofing and reduces vibration, with less weight and bulk than traditional sound deadening material. The competition tried, but at the time the best they had was steel with a few squiggles of caulk like material in a few spots and another layer of steel which didn't provide anywhere near the same ability to cut down on noise, vibration and harshness. Quiet steel was first used in the 1999 Explorer. The Ranger, Mountaineer and Navigator all received it in 2002. On the F150 it's used for the firewall, front dash panel and the piece of metal at the forward part of the dash under the windshield. Plus the oil pan on V8s.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Tags:
    KW5413 likes this.
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

1959 was the first year Ford produced a 4 wheel drive truck. Prior to that you had to get a Marmon-Harrington setup.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Trivia question:

Which Ford truck had it's test mule in full public view without anyone even noticing it?

4. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I just learned that a couple of months ago reading about collectable trucks.

5. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

The first one.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Good answer!

What I was thinking of was the aluminum bodied 2015 F150. Ford built a 2015 F150, and instead of the 2015 body (which were not dramatic changes so far as how they were applied to the platform)... they made aluminum versions of the previous generation's skin and bolted it to the body. Then raced it in full open view at the Baja, to test durability and performance.

7. KW5413 Vet Zone Texas Chapter Founding Member

I guessed the first one because model T's were often privately modified for hauling stuff. When ol' Henry made one I just figured no one would think much of it.

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  8. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I pulled this off a friends Facebook page. Who makes the most diesel pickups?!!

Interesting tidbit of info for all the people that think that their are as many Cummins and Duramaxes on the road as the Powerstroke! Cummins just produced the 2 millionth Cummins for a Dodge pickup in January 2014 since 1988. Ford produced their 500k 6.7 powerstroke in September 2014 and they didn't start making them till 2011!! Ford produced their 2 millionth powerstroke in 2002 (started powerstroke in 94.5 6.5 years after cummins.) So next time you think Ford's have more failures, just remember Ford has made double or triple or maybe more then the other manufactures!!!

FTZ HAIC likes this.
  9. Paul Masley Founding Member

Like I said in another post, I got a good test drive out of the new aluminum truck. It really surprised the hell out of me. It handled really crisp, even at high speeds, very light throttle to hit the limiter. The shocking thing was no wind noise. I could hear the engine in sport mode and Ford has done more mods in that mode other than the transmission. It will lite the tires with a little persuasion and it will bang the shifts if held on the floor.

Overall, if it will hold together with my type of abuse, it will be a great truck! I run a vehicle like I stole it. Just ask my Crown Vic. LOL

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >