Veterans Zone Freedom Mechanics

Discussion in 'Veterans Zone' started by Critter, May 17, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

i have this idea. Dutch has weighed in on it before, but I'd like a bit more input, and possibly some ideas.

As my time on active service seems to be rapidly approaching its end, I want to start planning out a non-profit outfit for vets. Being a wrench and general idea man, I want to offer a service to disabled vets that will allow them to own the car of their dreams despite the injuries sustained in the service. Mostly, I'd probably start by offering "foot-free" clutch setups for classic and antique vehicles. The mods to the car that accommodate their disabilities would be at no cost to the vet. The "hot rod" upgrades, if requested, would not be covered. What are your opinions and ideas on this subject?

Tags:
  2. macman_85602

Adding to your idea how about setting up a training center for service members to learn auto mechanics. Does 2 things 1 helps young GIs learn a skill that they can use through life and 2 helps then adjust to civilian life after all the crap they have seen overseas.

FTZ Peggy likes this.
  3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I think it's a good idea if you can past all the logistical issues with setting up a 501C, fundraising, and geography challenges (it's a big country!). A few thoughts.... from a practical standpoint wouldn't swapping in an automatic be a better option? Probably more important than a handicap clutch setup would be power steering conversion. I don't think keeping narrowing it to focus on hand clutches would be ideal... offer them whatever it takes (transmission swap, power steering, hand clutch) that will get them on the road.

4. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Those are all good ideas. I figured I would try to adapt the car to the individual. I, myself, would hate to give up my manual transmission. I'm considering importing a Japanese car to go easier on my shoulder. Sometimes, my should will pop painfully when I upshift. Engineering the hand clutch with a good feel would be the first step.

5. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Not opposed, but there's a lot of places that offer full rides through the GI Bill variants. I'd definitely hire some.

6. macman_85602

Out here where i live we had a church run shop that helped recovering addicts.

This may be an opportunity of using Vets that may be on hard times, not just the ones that are just coming out of the service but ones who may have been out for years that need a hand up. Hooking up with other veterans organizations could give you clients and workers.

This would give you the chance to help 2 groups of vets.

I love the idea. setting up cars and trucks for wounded vets and the possability of helping others off the streets.

7. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

I've done things for people at the local base auto hobby shop. Some auto hobby shops have periodic lectures or other training and clinics they do, NAPA reps also go out to sites sometimes and offer seminars in air conditioning and other similar things.

Even a non-disabled vet can benefit a lot by knowing how to do their own work because labor is what makes most vehicle repairs big-time expensive. A $25 heater core for example can cost over $500 to install if it's one that calls for a dash panel R&R.

~And I once got tagged for $400 for a bad EFI Air Control valve on a Taurus, because I had no time at all to figure it out, it had to be done. Right then, That day. Pep Boys in Hampton VA is no friend of mine.... An IAC on a 3.8 V6 is NOT something that should be billed anything like that.

Learning DIY repair is self defence, IMHO

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  8. Critter Vet Zone Founding Member

Greywolf likes this.
  9. Greywolf Vet Zone Staff Alumni Founding Member

THAT is outstanding!
    *right down to the Keystone Classics

An idea that has been buzzing around my skull like an annoying insect is that modern auto-trannies have electrically operated clutches that could (could, he says quietly) be triggered by a set of over-ride switches dropping 12V, or interrupting 12V as needed to up and down shift from a set of control buttons.

I am still thinking over what that entails, and if it needs special considerations to prevent damage. But in theory at least, a modern "E" transmission can be run without what is called a "Powertrain Module" or "PTM" by using buttons and relays in it's place, it would then act like a rapid-fire manual with an automatic clutch.

The trigger buttons could potentially be mounted on the steering wheel itself, so shifting is fingertip, and hands on the wheel...

2 transmissions in particular I have been thinking about in regards to this are the E4OD and I think it's called AODE

~The E4OD being the heavy weight

THIS CONCEPT IS NOT AT THIS TIME CONSIDERED RELIABLE OR PRACTICAL

I have had no opportunity to try it

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  10. IDMooseMan Vet Zone TOTM Winner

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso