Frequently Used Data

Discussion in '2004 - 2008 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by FTZ HAIC, May 20, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Engine Oil
    4.2L V6, 4.6L V8 and 5.4L V8: Ford recommends 5w20 semi-synthetic for all of them. Many people who have turbo and supercharged these engines opt for 5w20 or 5w30 full synthetic.

This is just a tiny start (very tiny, lol), as others add to this thread I will incorporate the information here at the top.

Tags:
  2. Archion Vet Zone Article Contributor

Same for the 6.8. All of these engines originally spec'd 5w30. Then CAFE happened. 5w30 can be safely run in all of these motors.

3. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I plan to get stickies up for the other sections so we can add information like that to them, same as the one here in the 2004-2008 F150 section. :)

Archion likes this.
  4. Archion Vet Zone Article Contributor

Doh. Didn't even look at the forum header. Feel free to nuke from orbit.

5. 57FordGuy Founding Member

Question: if you go with 5w20 full synthetic, can you go 12 months between changes?

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I wouldn't automatically assume it, while synthetic resists oil shear better than non-synthetic, which helps it under pressure and slows viscosity break down.... oil can only hold so much combustion by-products before it becomes an issue, and the additive package can only do so much before it depletes. That's why its generally recommended to do occasional used oil analysis sampling to see how the oil is holding up.

Companies like Black Stone Labs do this and will let you know about how far out you can go with your particular vehicle. So the first time time around you're going to pay more since you're sending in samples to Black Stone, but once you know how far you can go, you won't need to pay for this.

7. 57FordGuy Founding Member

I had a 6.8 V10 in a 99 motorhome that required 5w30.

8. roscoe 0202

another place to get oil samples is the local caterpillar dealer
    roscoe

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >