Front and rear axles and suspension

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by SLZ, Feb 2, 2017.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. SLZ Vet Zone

Hey, been away for a while.
    Finally got it stripped to the frame.
    A Camaro front end has been suggested but not sure if I should use something else.
    Leaning toward a F150 rear axle.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Car front ends and sub frames are old school, and usually end up as a stalled project
    There are a lot of Mustang II kits out there, just google them, and go from there.
    Most of the people on here are using that style front end now

As far as the rear, measure drum to drum, and go from there.
    I think John (56panel) used an explorer rear in his

JWC 3 and 56panelford like this.
  3. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

The Explorer is 59 inches wide and I'd do the mustang II and keep your frame rails intact. I used a Heidts superide II on mine..but TCI or Fatman's would also be a good choice..

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
  4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good information John.

56panelford likes this.
  5. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I did a frame swap on my panel thinking I was going to save money, doing the Mustang cross member in a weekend was a no brainer but that's all part of learning I guess. lol

dustybumpers, Fabman and JWC 3 like this.
  6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I did a mopar on my 56 pick up. Never again
    everything since then has been mustang II

56panelford and JWC 3 like this.
  7. oledad Founding Member

I'm old school I guess since I used the "volare" clip. Mine was actually a 1987 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue and it was in great shape. Very easy install and it drives like a dream. I opted for a 2001 Explorer back axle with disc brakes. I now have the 5 X 4 1/2 bolt pattern all around. I Found a Lincoln Continental space saver spare will fit over my front and rear disc brakes. You decide what you'd like as there are many choices and opinions out there. Good luck, Steve

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >