Is it ok to do just one side for the rear brakes.

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by contactdewitt, Aug 26, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. contactdewitt

I just did a brake inspection on the rear brakes of my F250 and the driver side rear was just fine but the passenger side rear was toast and I may have to get a new drum. My question is would it be ok to just do the one side? PS I have not looked at the front calipers yet!

Tags:
  2. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I would never do just one wheel on an axle. If you do, then they will not brake even. That said, why is one side in such good shape and the other side worn out? Perhaps the previous owner did a one wheel brake job? Wonder if one side was tighter than the other.

dustybumpers likes this.
  3. contactdewitt

Good question, I have decided to completely do a rebuild including lines. the one side has barely any wear and the other side is shot. I'm going with new everything including rebuilt modulator pump. SS braided lines and all. Just for piece of mind.

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

i have done it before in an emergency to get by, but as soon as i had time i did the other side too.

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

On my 94, I hav a bent axle. It eats brake shoes on the right side.
    2 sets for every 1 on the left.

o_O

Campspringsjohn likes this.
  6. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

Too bad the 2 shoes aren't the same. Then you could switch the 2 in that drum front to back!

dustybumpers likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >