Front end shake

Discussion in '1961 - 1966 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Ranpa, Sep 12, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ranpa

I have my grandpas 1964 F100 2WD with the 223 ci motor and 3 on the tree. I’m proud to have it as I grew up in and around it. I just had the motor rebuilt, new clutch with the flywheel resurfaced, new driveshaft and ujoints, rebuilt the rear ended changed the gear to 3.70 from 3.89. Can anyone help me determine why the front end still shakes when I start rolling? It also shakes when I start to back up too. Thanks for any thoughts on figuring out how to fix that.

25C71745-5B76-4778-A085-8AAF2B9F9547.jpeg #ad

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

The front end? Steering wheel? Or does the whole truck shudder. ...
    Possible weak pressure plate if the whole truck shudders.
    Is it new? Have you fully seated the clutch, driven it several miles ?
    More information please.

3. Ranpa

Thanks for replying, the shake feels like it’s in the front end and after rebuilding the rear end that seems to be accurate. Its definitely not in the steering wheel. It shakes only as I take off in first or if I back up. If I add a little throttle before letting the clutch out it won’t shake. This truck has always done that from what my father and brothers say. My son and I replaced the original clutch about 5 years ago and it still shook, I had that clutch replaced during the recent motor rebuild along with the driveshaft and rear end. I’ve put about 100 miles on it since the work was completed.

4. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Sounds like clutch to me.
    You may have to find the sweet spot, throttle verses clutch peddle.
    By your post, that seems to help.
    As long as it's not slipping that should be fine. I had an old Chevy like that. At 400k I put a clutch in it. Still shuddered if you lugged it.

5. Ranpa

Hmmm, I didn’t think of it as lugging it but I think you hit the nail on the head. It doesn’t shake when I don’t baby it. I appreciate your input, thanks again.

JWC 3 likes this.
  6. iicap

Agreeing with all said. To add, are the motor mounts new? Do You have a clutch equalizer shaft from the frame to the side of bell housing or a hydraulic clutch pedal? There are either whole or half nylon bushings at the frame and the bell housing with equalizer shaft for smooth pivoting and if they are missing or badly worn it could contribute to the clutch being jumpy on engagement. I believe your truck has 2 rear mounts and a single (or double) in front. Important the engine stays put when taking off

7. Ranpa

The mounts are new and yes 1 only in the front. I’ll have to check on the shaft and clutch pedal,I’ll let you know on those and thanks for your input.

8. Muel Article Contributor Oregon Chapter

If the 'New Clutch' is in fact a 'Rebuilt/Re-manufactured' clutch, it is most likely the source of the shudder.
    The only known fix for a "Re" clutch is to replace it with actual NEW parts.

9. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Did you have the flywheel turned before you put the clutch back in?

Could be heat spots that are grabbing and causing a bad engagement

10. Ranpa

Yes flywheel was resurfaced

11. Ranpa

I’m going to look into that, thank you.

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

How much free play do you have adjusted in the pedal?

Should back about an I nch before you feel pressure

13. Ranpa

I’d say it has about an inch of play and the clutch that was installed is new it’s the MU7346-1B. Are you aware of a differently designed clutch that is better?

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Depends. You have what is called a diaphragm clutch. They make a 3 finger spring clutch for your truck, but you wouldn't want to hold the pedal down for a red light.
    The clutch you have should do the job.

Did you replace the pilot bearing when you did the job?

15. BKW Founding Member

1961/64's have split bronze bearings on the clutch equalizer bar (see 7517 in pic below).

No F100/350 has a hydraulic clutch between 1961/82.

One has to wonder if the OP got grease on the disc when he was installing it.

20180920162031FP-7636-B.jpg #ad

dustybumpers and JWC 3 like this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >