Frozen Fuel Drain Plug

Discussion in 'General Truck Discussion' started by firehog, Nov 22, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. firehog

Hello: I have a 1981 Ford F-700 Dump truck and it has been sitting for a couple of years and would like to drain the gas out of the tank. It is fairly clean at the bottom, not rusted so wire brushed the plug and gave it a shot of Blast rust loosen-er spray and a few dozen love taps with my hammer to help break the plug loose but when I insert the Allen wrench into the hole and use a small cheater bar for more leverage, the wrench just twists (obviously a low quality piece)

I can buy another set or wrenches but might end up twisting that too so wondering if there are any tricks to help free up this plug? Thanks

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

A trick to help the allen wrench not slip is putting a little steel wool around the end before it you insert it. It will help take up some of the extra space if the wrench or plug is worn.

I would soak it over night with something like Kroil. When it's time to remove it, clean the penetrant off, then consider spraying the bolt with MAF or brake cleaner on , to make the bolt colder and shrink a little - then immediately try removing it.

3. firehog

The plug is at the bottom of the tank so I cannot soak it. The Allen wrench fits nice and snug, no need for steel wool, but spraying brake cleaner on it to get it real cold may help. i will try it. Thanks

4. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I've used that steel wool trick for a lot of things. Steel wool and copper wire strands also help keep bolts tight if you have partially stripped threads.

It might be hard to get to it under the truck, but for stuck bolts I have a tool I use, an impact extractor:

You smack it hard with a hammer, and it has a spring-loaded mechanism. It loads up as the hammer hits it, and releases all the torque at once, with a very slight twisting to break corrosion between threads. I've used it on things like stuck exhaust manifold bolts, stuck machine screws and such.

5. firehog

Thanks, interesting tool if you could incorporate a large Allen wrench with it but I got the drain plug loose yesterday by hammering the plug with a 3# hammer about 20 times and then the real trick was using a QUALITY Allen wrench that was made of hard steel, not the soft steel that actually would twist like a pretzel. So not sure if the vibrations of the heavy beating with the hammer did the trick or the toughness of the grade 8 wrench or maybe a little of both. Got the old gas flushed out and putting 5 gallons of fresh gas and a bottle of Sea Foam in it tomorrow and a new fuel filter and see if i can get this thing to run a little smoother but it has a blown head gasket I am sure since the oil has that milky look to it.

Now the fun starts trying to get the exhaust manifold off. These are the bolts that break as often as come loose on an old engine. Going to shoot a heavy shot of "Blast" nut rust disolver spray on the bolts for several days before I even try to get these loose

6. ROLLIN298

I did my exhaust manifolds a while back. Sprayed CD BLASTER over 3 days while hot each time. Used a small hammer while torquing each time. Then went for it.. none broke...good luck. You can heat them up w/ torch can help.

firehog likes this.
  7. firehog

Thanks. I did a compression test yesterday and cylinders on drivers side all showed between 125 and 130 and on passenger side , the rear cylinder was 125 but the 3 front cylinders only showed 10 so guessing something went bad with camshaft and it broke while the rear cylinder had both valves shut and the 3 front cylinders had either exhaust or intake valve open. So going to pop off the valve cover tomorrow and see what is going on here but think it would be too expensive to rebuild this old engine and trying to find another to replace it. Some people say the 460 engine will marry up to the transmission and also the motor mounts of frame. Local guy has a just rebuilt 460 with transmission for sale for $1200. I've had mechanic quotes that just to replace the head gasket alone on this 370 is going to cost me that much.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >