Fuel gauge 97 F350 460

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Fuel guzzling beast, Oct 11, 2019.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Fuel guzzling beast

97 F350 crew cab 4x4 460, I've lost the fuel gauge on the front tank only, just reads empty always, rear tank guage works fine. Suspects, float? Ground?

Tags:
  2. Fuel guzzling beast

Wow! the activity in here is overwhelming.

3. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

It's been pretty quiet all over...
    I'm beginning to notice on my 96 that every once in a while my fuel gauge 'pegs' out way - way beyond the Full mark. I didn't realize they would travel that far. Does this with the switch in both front and rear tank positions. Then after a little bit, they go to where I think they should be.

But, if the front is "dead" and the back is working fine, my first thought would be something in the sender or wiring from the tank.

4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Funny thing. I answered this, and it disappeared.

Let's try this again...…...

Dave's problem is either a bad float or a bad resistor.
    Both will require a new fuel cell unit

Jim's is a bad ground, the hanging unit is fine.

5. Fuel guzzling beast

Yup, that's what I feared......I had to bounce it against the wall though.
    It's ok though as it's a 460 and most of the time the tank IS empty!
    Thanks, Charlie

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I ran my 90 like that for years. Finally the tank got a rust hole in it, and I bought a new tank, complete with the pump, tank and straps for what a pump would cost. Look at Rockauto for a good deal when you are ready

7. Fuel guzzling beast

I'm ready......
    Just another PITA job for my cancer riddled azz

8. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Well, as far as the cancer thing, Just have to do a frame of mind.... Mind set.
    In todays treatment, better is getting better every single day. I am here 2 years past my due date...…..
    If you let it win, then all is lost.
    Just keep it at bay, beat it, and all is good.
    I'll be praying for ya man.
    If you need to talk about it, pm me your number. we can beat it in a group….

and don't let others kick you in the nads while you are down, they build all their ego in being strong by stomping down strong people when they are weak

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >