Fuel gauge not reading correctly

Discussion in '2009 - 2014 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by bigrigfixer, May 29, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Just filled up from 1/4 tank and I got something like 16 gallons of gas?

Then as I drove down the road I noticed the fuel gauge was reading just under 7/8 full?

And the lie-ometer said I'd get almost 900 kilometers (560 miles) out of the tank before I need more gas?

What do I believe?

Tags:
  2. BKW Founding Member

2009/2014 F150 2WD's have a 26 gallon tank, 4WD's have a 36 gallon tank.

3. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

So my gauge is off by 1/8 tank then?

4. BKW Founding Member

I don't know what the fuel sending unit floats are made of on these 'newer' trucks.

1957/79 all FoMoCo vehicles: The float was made from 2 pieces of copper soldered together. Solder broke down, gas seeped in, float settled to the bottom of the tank.

You could buy the float by itself 1957/79. Beginning in 1980, it was only available with the sending unit.

I don't have any parts catalogs after 2001, so I cannot look and see what's what.

5. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

When a less than experienced mechanic replaces the fuel pump in the tank on this truck, the fuel pump sending unit gets bent. It takes quite a bit of twisting and turning to get the pump/ sending unit out/ in the hole.
    You are probably lucky it works at all.
    Not sure your warranty would cover replacing the sending unit, but it's worth a try, since you just bought the truck.

6. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

They aren't terribly accurate to begin with. But, having said that, Ford put out a TSB several years ago addressing high sulfur gas and contamination to the sending unit causing inaccuracies. They updated the sending unit after this (2008), but it can still happen though not as common any more. I believe the TSB recommended using a high detergent gas with Techron or similar for several tanks to remove sulfur build-up.

7. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Well I just filled up again from empty and I could only get 20 gallons and the gauge still only shows under 7/8 tank. It's actually closer to 3/4 tank.

I'm thinking there's something in the tank taking up space because it doesn't matter how slow I pump it, the handle clicks off.

I've heard of fuel hoses from the filter neck collapsing, but they can still get a full tank in.

Ideas?

8. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'm not sure about the 09+ but my 2006 when it clicks... I stop. I'll be lucky to get more than another 1/4 gallon in so I don't bother. My diesel on the other hand I can get 3-5 gallons in after the first click, lol.

9. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

So I have an appointment on Tuesday after work to leave it over night at the dealer I bought it from. They seem to be interested in going good on it, so that's a bonus.

The service advisor seems to think the gauge is out of calibration and it'll take a couple hours according to him, hence the overnight.

Kind of a shame, as they are an hour away, but they're also gonna supply a loaner for me.

Hope that's all it is. Makes sense, as it's got a new battery, but still baffled as to how it would happen in the first place, as everything I could see on the tank looked original.

Will keep you all posted.

10. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Got my truck back yesterday.

Turns out it was a bad fuel sender and a bad purge canister. So not only was it not filling up fully because of the purge canister, the gauge was slightly off because of the sender.

A guy at work had a similar problem of his truck not filling properly, but it was just slow to fill. His purge canister was bad too, but I can't remember what he paid. Mine was covered by the sales department and my invoice was zeroed out. I'll go find it to get you all some part numbers.

Anyway, so far so good, got just under a half tank in there, I was going to go and fill it up tonight after work, but I decided to bring my son back in to work with new so I could take him for a ride in a loader and a dump truck.

11. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Okay, here are some part numbers.

PFS*490* sender and pump assy
    CG*807* gasket
    CX*2447* valve assy

12. BKW Founding Member

These are Motorcraft part numbers, not Ford part numbers.

13. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I knew that, is there a difference? Ford still owns Motorcraft right?

I don't have the parts boxes in front of me, so I can't see what the Ford number is. I got the number off of the invoice.

14. BKW Founding Member

Ford purchased Auto-Lite in 1961, but in 1972, Ford was forced by the US Gov't to sell it, as they claimed Ford had a monopoly on auto parts.

Ford then started in-house brand Motorcraft, all the Auto-Lite part numbers became Motorcraft part numbers.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >