Fuel pump not coming on, 99 5.4

Discussion in '1997 - 2003 Ford F150 Truck Forum' started by 5.0FordGuy, Apr 26, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. 5.0FordGuy

Hey all, got a 99 F250 light duty that I am ready to burn to the ground. Was coming home from work one day and after a quick stop at the parts store, fired it up, drove it 20 feet and it shut off. No sputter, no cough, just shut down. Got it towed home and started checking stuff. Grounds all good, relays and fuses good. Had power to the pump but it wasn't coming on. So naturally, I figured the pump was done, after all, it has 376,000 kilometers on it, had to fail some time. Replace the pump, fix a pinhole in the tank i found while I was in there, figured all would be well. Nope, pump still won't come on. So, my big brain says, direct wire the old pump to the battery and see if it comes on, which it does, so there was $350 I spent needlessly. I am currently at my wits end with this heap, any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

have you tried resetting the fuel pump interrupter switch?

clux likes this.
  3. 5.0FordGuy

If you mean the inertia switch, it wasn't tripped.

4. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

all rite. if you have 12 volts going to the new fuel pump, than the only thing left it could be is a bad ground.

5. 5.0FordGuy

I checked them, and all seemed good, but I guess there is a possibility of a wire broken mid stream. Guess its back to square 1

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

run a new ground wire from pump directly to clean spot on frame.
    that is the only way to completely rule out a bad ground wire.

7. 5.0FordGuy

Update. So all of a sudden, I have no power to the pump anymore, so I said the hell with it and ran all new wire with a switch. Now pump comes on when I need it to. Next step, new starter solenoid and hopefully I have her back up and running.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >