Fuel Pump Questions

Discussion in '1967 - 1972 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Philthytoo, Mar 27, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Philthytoo

I'm working on resurrecting a '67 F350 that's been sitting in a Guy's yard for 30 years. 240 I6, NP435. Will the stock mechanical fuel pull fuel from a rear (behind the rear axle) fuel tank, or would I need an electric pump for a tank that far away?
    Thanks, Phil;

Tags:
  2. iicap

It will pull from that rear tank. Does it still have behind seat tank with a manual selector valve also?

3. Philthytoo

Thanks for your reply! The '67 truck has only the original, in-cab tank. I'm adding the rear tank, taken from another truck. Planning on installing an electric switch-over set up.

iicap likes this.
  4. iicap

That's Cool, was just curious.

5. Philthytoo

Thanks iicap, you were right. Finally got the rear tank set-up complete, made the switch over and the engine didn't miss a beat! Looks like I have to re-check my connections for the fuel gauge wiring, though.

iicap and FTZ HAIC like this.
  6. iicap

Hey Ptoo. Thanks for coming back on an older posting. It's nice to hear outcomes. Again curious, doe's the electric tank switching, have the capability of switching the gauge also?? Or your dealing with a different system?? Cap.

7. Philthytoo

Yep, the original plan was to use an electric switch-over that would switch the gauge at the same time, similar to a truck I had many years ago. I discovered the sending unit on this rear tank operates on a different resistance level than the stock in-cab tank, so that wouldn't work. I mounted an aftermarket fuel gauge in a three gauge panel (fuel, volts, oil pressure) under the dash for the rear tank, so I can see fuel levels in both tanks at a glance, then put a mechanical switch over valve between the seat and door, where I can reach it while driving.

iicap likes this.
  8. iicap

Sounds good, constant reading of both at all times.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >