Generac C4000 generator project

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by bigrigfixer, Jul 11, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I got this thing off of a Facebook auction page for $15 almost 5 years ago.

Was sitting in a chicken coop, covered in guano. I was told that it did run, but would now not start and they didn't know why.

So as life gets in the way, there's no space in my garage to actually tackle this project, no time since my kids are still small. But I did give it a quick look. A pull on the cord didn't give me much to go on because it got stuck. Then I pulled the shroud off and got my crescent wrench to help turn it over. Felt like it hit an obstruction as it came up to tdc. And that's how it sat for the next 4-1/2 years.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I now have the space after cleaning out my garage, and built a work bench. Took the engine and generator unit out of the frame and then took them apart. Pulled the head off the engine and found my culprit.

Almost 1/8" of carbon sitting on top of the piston, so much so that it would contact the head and interfere with the upward stroke.

So I cleaned it all off, ordered a gasket kit and set about to do a quick and cheap freshening.

Here's where the trouble started.

I needed a manual, so I ordered and received one. In there, I found out how to adjust the carb so it would run after sitting for who knows how long. I put oil in it. I freed up the fuel shutoff valve and put in fresh gas. Pulled the cord, nothing. For a half hour. And gas was dribbling out of the intake.

Grumble grumble.

Not happy.

I have air, I have fuel, I have compression, can't really check for spark because I don't have a spark tester, so I tried to zap myself. That didn't work either. And my low oil warning light was flashing as I rotated the engine.

I assumed that would happen as I cranked the engine, so I disregarded it.

When I did a bit of research online, I was told I may have overseated the needle valves on the carb, so rather than getting new needle valve parts, it was cheaper to buy a complete carb, so I did that. Waited almost two weeks, it never came. Followed up with Amazon, they refunded my money. The next day, my neighbour brought it over, as it somehow got delivered to him.

Free carburetor!

Bolted it up, still wouldn't fire.

Now I'm pissed, so it sat a bit longer.

Chatting with a friend who does small engine repair, he mentioned low oil. He said to make sure it's full, because it won't start if the low oil light even flickers.

Turns out the oil filter ports are different depths. One side showed full, the other side showed 1/4" low. So I topped it up to where it should be, gave it a pull, and it started on the first try.

Was pretty happy after that, but it is really loud. I'll be looking into a muffler for it.

Also, all throughout this epic saga, I was fighting old gas. There wasn't much old gas in it, less than a 1/2 cup, but enough to gum things up, every time I let it sit for more that a day, so I have to run it out of gas and get some more fresh gas into it and change the filter.

I also installed a wheel kit to help move it around easier, but the wheel kit almost weighs half of the generator (solid axle, solid rubber tires, steel feet). And I got 7 feet of #70 chain and a padlock today.

A couple weeks ago, I got it into my truck and brought it over to my trailer to check a few things out. (More on that in my "Power" thread.) It runs the trailer, but it did require some minor carb adjustments.

I'll be looking through my photo archives to hopefully post some pics tomorrow.

Tags:
    Campspringsjohn and dustybumpers like this.
  2. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

image000000_05.jpg #ad

Here it is, the day I got it, after I washed all the chicken poop off it.

image000000_03.jpg #ad

Shroud off, so now I'm able to turn the crank with a crescent wrench.

20180410_173634.jpg #ad

Fast forward a few years, I'm now looking for model numbers to order parts by. The cracked and missing pieces of shroud was welded back together, then painted a reasonably matched shade of red.

20180421_185307.jpg #ad

Wheel and leg kit on.

20180409_200124.jpg #ad

Head off. Pic was taken after I cleaned all the carbon off the top of the piston, because the one I did get was out of focus for some reason.

20180409_200148.jpg #ad

Everything looked okay inside.

20180509_193527.jpg #ad

Everything back together on the bench.

20180510_194014.jpg #ad

And everything back in the frame.

20180623_152816.jpg #ad

And finally, in the back of my truck, off to do some testing.

3. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

4. bigrigfixer Article Contributor Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I looked into those. I like everything I've seen on it.

Right now, the price is holding me back.

I'll get one eventually, but for how loud it is, I don't plan on running it much.

If I had a quieter inverter generator, yeah. I'd be getting one sooner than later.

5. Campspringsjohn Founding Member

I have been told that propane shortens the life of the motor because its a dry fuel. Gas is a wet fuel, and actually does add some lubrication to the cylinder walls. At least that's what I've heard.

6. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

correct.
    and generjunk engines do not like dry fuel.

generjunk is what those generators are called on the generator forums because they are short term use.

7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Hadn't looked into that, but I guess I should as I was thinking of converting our Cabela's branded (Champion) Generator over to dual fuel. That one has been 'reassigned' to just around the house and farm use. It runs great, but we do run the carb dry if there are no plans to use in the near future. I try to use non alcohol gas in it whenever possible.

The camper we picked up a couple of years ago has an Onan Propane generator in it. The generator only had around 10 hours on it when we got the camper. The Onan is 12 years old and has been flawless for us so far. The only time I have had to add oil to it is when I change the oil.

8. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

onans are made to run dry fuel.
    i have a 1962 onan 10-CCK that is all still original. as long as i run the specified straight 30 oil in it, it does not burn a drop of oil. put 15-40 in it and it uses a quart every 12 hours.

9. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Never used anything other than Delo 400 SAE 30w in the Onan, the Cabela's generator or the Lawn Mower and in a pinch (in foul weather) - on the guns, so I wouldn't know...:giggle:anim

I've often wondered about the "dry" characteristic of propane though. Mr. Heater Big Buddy (have two of those) requires that you use a filter when running them from a 'bulk' bottle like a 10, 20, 30 lb or larger bottles, (but doesn't need it when using it with the two disposable bottles). On several occasions I just plugged the hose from the 20# bottle directly to the regulator when I didn't have a working filter available. Each time I had a clear oily like fluid drain from it onto the garage floor. Almost like an extremely light weight (almost water consistency) clear machine oil. I keep extra filters on hand now.

10. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Bulk bottles are actually liquid, and turn to vapor

Seabiscuit and 1970something like this.
  11. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I knew this, I just never learned nor have I really ever checked into what that colorless, odorless light oily liquid is that drains out of the heater when used without the filter. I don't see the liquid on the Onan Genset in the camper which is also bulk bottles - or stove, furnace, water heater or refer for that matter. Water heater is nothing more than a blow torch which could explain that...

12. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

It is the "propane"
    When you have the "kit" that converts propane to run the gas engines, that will be run through the mixer and goes though the carb
    It is not wise to use the tiny lamp bottles to run engines, they are vapor. Vapor is dry fuel.

When Ford was putting the propane conversions on the f250's back in 95 they made you use liquid propane or natural gas
    People didn't listen, and ended up using regular bottle propane, causing damage to the engines

Propane f 250 5.8's lasted less than 1 year

13. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

So essentially, what that filter does is strip the liquid out of the propane from the 20# bottle, that I also use on the gas grill, and allow only the vapor to reach the catalytic burner plates. Without the filter, the liquid doesn't burn so is 'leaked' out of the cat heater onto the floor...

14. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Exactly
    When you cook with propane, you want a "dry"heat
    Propane being a liquid is "wet"heat

Notice when you cook your ribs on propane grill, or charcoal grill, there is a difference in the way they cook

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >