Generator to Alternator 6 Cylinder F100 1957

Discussion in '1957 - 1960 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Troca57, Jun 16, 2023.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Troca57

Does converting from a generator to 1 wire alternator on a 1957 F100 6 cylinder eliminate the voltage regulator?

Tags:
  2. iicap

I would say that, TODAY'S, 1 wire alternators have a regulator built in. Other's will comment I hope. Cap

BKW likes this.
  3. captchas

yes it does eliminate you simply run a wire to the battery positive or the battery side of either the starter or starter relay to feed directly to the battery
    the regulator is built into the unit, for a note unline speed shops sell alternators that look just like a generator to keep that stock look they are made both ways internal or external if one wishes to keep the external regulator

iicap likes this.
  4. Troca57

I’m having a difficult time locating a one wire alternator to replace the generator!

1957 F100, 223 ci / 3.6 L, straight 6 cylinder

Any suggestions, businesses, links, products that may help would be greatly appreciated…

5. RP67F100

If you can find a local starter/ alternator repair shop you would prob find someone that would be able to figure out what would work, and prob have what you need. Instead of a youngster on a computer trying to find an alternator for a 57

6. iicap

I see you are inquiring on FTE also, there were drop downs on the bottom of your post with suggestions, even 1 with 100 amps your looking for.

Bottom line, you need to modify the mounting bracket(s). Typically and your truck, generator mounts with 2 bolts. MOST auto/ light truck alternators mount (pivot) with 1 long bolt, usually 3/8th diameter. Using your original bracket on the block, You could use 3/8th threaded rod BUT, 3/8th round stock threaded on each end would be neater, more durable. Get your original generator pulley (sheave) onto your new alternator. Figure the spacers needed front and rear of alternator mounting hole so the belt pulley is aligned with the other pulley's Cap

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >