Solved Getting the 8.8 ready to chop!!!!

Discussion in '1953 - 1956 Ford F100, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by fordgo, Jan 29, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. fordgo Vet Zone

Got the exploder 8.8 rear end that i got stripped down so i can take and get it narrowed about 3 inches on the drivers side that will get the pinion closer to center by doing that i will be able to use two passenger side axles 0120182020.jpg #ad

Tags:
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I need to do yhis for a Falcon project. Please post lots of pictures......

3. fordgo Vet Zone

Im not chopping it myself taking it to a place to get it done didnt want to spend the money 300+ on the jig needed to keep it straight plus they only charge 2 bills to do it thought that was reasonable my son has a falcon also he used a maverick 8 inch rear on his IMG-20170929-WA0000.jpeg #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I was thinking about the 8.8 from a explorer. I want to use the factory disc brakes.
    I see your point about needing a jig.
    I'll look around here
    Still..... Post pics of the process, I'm curious where they cut.

5. fordgo Vet Zone

If ya got a pick and pull or that type of yard near you you can get one pretty cheap i think i got my 8.8 for 175 with the sway bar. It is a disc brake rear with 3.73 and factory limited slip

6. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

I have the whole 'sploder, 5.0 and all.
    I will have to get another transmission, that one is 4x4, but shouldn't be a problem.

7. fordgo Vet Zone

Well found a guy near the house that chopped my rear end down for me for 200$ now i gotta go to pick and pull to get another passenger side axle. Then i gotta rebuild it. Took 2.875 inches out of the drivers side so i can use stock passenger side axles in both sides and then i can figure out the size of wheel tubs i need
    After i finish the drywall in my new garage :(

0614182054.jpg #ad

dustybumpers likes this.
  8. fordgo Vet Zone

Went to pick and pull and got another passenger side axle for 34$ now i just gotta order a rebuild kit so i can put in new bearings and seals......after i finish the drywall

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >