Getting the Old 87 running again

Discussion in '1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Elmer, Sep 23, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Elmer

It has become my decision to inherit my dads old 87 f250 (6.9 idi nonturbo) single cab long box. The ol girl has been sitting untouched for about 10 years sitting outside and I can see vines growing in the interior. But the seats and floor appear to be in good condition. Except for the hole when the seat belt got caught under the wheel and ripped it out. Any tips for getting her running again would be great.

Tags:
  2. 1970something TOTM Winner Founding Member

welcome to FTZ.
    clean mice nests out of air intake heater box, cowl, and off top of engine.
    then fresh oil, fresh fuel, fill the radiator, and 2 new batteries should get it fired up.
    once running flush the radiator and block and replace hoses, then fill with antifreeze.
    then tires and go over brakes, and drain and fill transmission and differentials.

3. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Speaking from experience, if there is any fuel left in the fuel tanks, best to get it out of there, and start with fresh fuel.( like Tom said)
    change all the filters and prime the system before you even try to start it

Bad fuel will not burn

4. Elmer

Thanks for the advice

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I'd consider adding Diesel Kleen to the first 2-3 tanks.

6. Elmer

One tank is rusted all the way through but the other tank is good so I'll get the old junk fuel out of it and get it some fresh stuff .

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
virtuoso