Godzilla fuel mileage...

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by DonW, Jun 6, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. DonW

Anyone care to share what they are getting for fuel mileage towing, not towing? My 20 is getting around 15 not towing on highway if I keep it around 70, city 11-12. , Towing 15,000 lb trailer if I can stay 65-70 MAYBE 10 - 11...MAYBE....not real bad... I like the truck but not real impressed with the mileage.

Tags:
  2. SuperDtyFL

Don, That gas mileage isn't bad at all. Do you have 2wd or 4wd and what rear gears? For comparison, my 2007 Chevy Avalanche is a 2wd with 3:73 gears. I get 8.5 mpg towing, 15 around town, and maybe 18 mpg at 70 mph. My truck can only tow up to 7,200 and I am close to the max with my loaded travel trailer. So you have much better capability for some sacrifice of mileage, but not horrible. As soon as these chip issues get resolved, I am getting a 2022 Godzilla.

Sonnyd1974 likes this.
  3. DonW

Thanks for the reply. Was just coureous what anyone else is getting with theirs. Guess no one has one.... LOL. I agree it’s not really all that bad. Actually my 5th wheel is a little over 11,000 empty I’ll estimate 12,500 maybe loaded. I never travel with the tanks full. With this engine/transmission combo and was thinking another couple mpg better. I guess although I’ve always said we get too consumed worrying about a mile or two per gallon.
    The truck pulls and handles the load like a dream, rides like a 3/4 ton truck, and for me the $9000 + saving from the diesel....it’s great for me.

sorry you asked about 4wd, yes it’s 4wd, although with the lock outs today I’m not sure how much difference I would not have gone any differant. In my mind it’s the combined ratio transmission/rears that count. Empty I want that engine idling at 80!, with the 10 speed I guarantee it will find the combo it needs at the rears. I bet towing the same load at the same speed my engine rpm is very similar to one with 4:10 rears. The 4:10 ‘s might be a little more responsive from a start but after that not much differant.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. KTM

I'm averaging 13 mpg, or so. Maybe 11-12 with my utility trailer. I've been disappointed with the mileage coming from an 11 250sd diesel, but, otherwise I do like the truck a lot. Glad I did not get the 6.2, and as you mentioned, saving 9 grand going to the 7.3 vs the diesel will pay for a lot of gas.

I did expect a little better, but I'm getting over it, lol.

captchas likes this.
  5. DonW

Thank you. Is the 2011 the 6.4 twin turbo diesel? I had an 08. As I understand it the 6.4 replaced the 6.0 and was sold I believe 4 yrs. traded in 2012. The truck still is around, a friend of mine (mechanic) works on it occasionally says I believe way over 200,000 miles and has little stuff done like ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes etc, nothing major still runs strong. But yes it did know how to burn fuel. LOL If so I have a killer programer for the 6.4 3 stage that stage 3 will boost it to around 1000 lbs torque without deleting anything that I would sell CHEAP pretty much shipping and dinner money.
    But yes the truck was bullet proof, I love it but at the time did not need the 3/4 ton. Went to RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi and owned 4 since with company trucks etc. Honestly never looked back until I needed the 3/4 ton again and liked the thinking with the Godzilla tech and went back to Ford. let me know if there's any interest in the programer...if I can find it!!

KTM likes this.
  6. captchas

thats like a lot of us who got a V10 back when we could, mine in a 05 was a 400 option ver 7k for a diesel , MPG wise they were like wise 10 city stay at 70 tops close to 15 was the best anyone could get .

7. DonW

I never had the V-10 in a pickup, only in 2 class-C’s. I liked them, better power than the 460 and around 10% better mileage. The mileage you mention is very similar to mine with the 7.3 that’s why I was thinking I’d get a little better with the 7.3. I guess when I consider the power this thing has though it’s doing quite good. Thanks for your input.

8. KTM

Thanks for the offer, Don. I sold the truck last fall, so no need to look for it!

DonW likes this.
  9. EBau

As for myself, I am Deeply disappointed, I had my dad's 2006 with the infamous 6.0 For years, never Tuned it, so I never had a problem. But if I went light on the throttle and set the cruise at 65. Nothing to get 20-21 miles a gallon on the highway and if I was really trying to be cheap, The magic number was 62 miles an hour and that would get me 23 miles To the gallon. I get about 15-17 MPG In my new 2021. If I'm lucky, the only upside is that this truck is not nearly as affected by towing as he was. I recently hauled a 14,000-pound fifth-wheel trailer And got 11 to 12. Anytime we put about 10 behind his. It still got better fuel economy, but the drop was much more significant from 20 to 12. But the difference in power is unbelievable. Not to mention all the extra amenities like the cooled seats and it kinda makes sense, given how much larger the truck is physically and In weight. So I'm not complaining. If I end up having to commute A significant amount. I will buy some little beater and save me some money and miles on the truck.

10. DonW

I’m kinda a lead foot, it does make a difference. I try on the interstate to stay under 75 but…….

11. captchas

in a pickup it was a beast, most i hauled was one of the old DD 12v71 tib motors from my old 48 ft boat to the engine shop. each with the transmission attached was just over 4.000 lbs, the monster never felt like it knew all that iron was in the bed

DonW likes this.
  12. DonW

Was a great motor. Wonder if Ford will now use the 7.3 "Godzilla" as they call it in motor homes??

13. Whitedog

I just got a new old stock 2020 Supercrew XLT, 7.3 10 speed 3.55 locking rear axle, FX4 pkg. Just got back from a 200mile round trip, 90% highway, 65mph. Average according to the truck was 18.2 mpg.

Pinche0811, Woodrow and DonW like this.
  14. DonW

Truck sounds like mine, exactly....there’s nothing wrong with that mileage....in fact it’s great!! If I could learn how to run 65 maybe mine would do that too!!! . I really do need to lighten up on the throttle a little!!! Thanks!

15. Whitedog

I replaced my 2018 Max tow F150. Damn Sports car compared to F250, but I wanted payload to haul my our camper. No regrets but I did like my 150.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >