Google's Driverless Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FTZ HAIC, Sep 25, 2015.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/07/google-starts-testing-driverless-car-in-austin/

So I don't take another thread off-topic I decided to provide a link and possible discussion here. Last night Peggy and I were talking about this technology. In some ways it's good, most accidents are human error, and if computers can do a better job than an 85 year old woman who can barely see over the wheel....? On the other hand, I am old school and don't see myself ever giving up complete control of a car to a computer.

Tags:
  2. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I think that was the clip I was referring to that I seen in the other thread Ken, pretty neat stuff. When I'm older .

3. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

If I am as ever as old as Kw5413 I might like this.

As long as there are real drivers on the road the driverless cars wait at 4 way stops as the driver cars creep to a stop/er crawl and the driverless car waits, and waits...

56panelford likes this.
  4. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Who do you give the finger to when you pass them?

Upland Bird Hunter likes this.
  5. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

There you go John, making sense. That is the perfect reason not to have driverless cars.

56panelford likes this.
  6. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I wonder if you could train the car to leave without you when going to work...lol

7. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Google says this is one of the things they are working on resolving with the live fleet in Austin. That and making S turn intersection maneuvers appear more human (even though the method they use now is just as safe).

It's my belief, and I admit I'm not an expert, that we already have the hardware and CPU processing power in small enough packages to handle driverless cars. Its more a matter of evolving better software through experience, trial and error, etc.

8. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

If one of these driverless cars were ever in an accident who would be at fault I wonder.

9. Upland Bird Hunter Founding Member

So far, every accident involving driverless cars has been the fault of the other party.

So far.

To answer your question, I don't know.

56panelford likes this.
  10. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Almost always from what I read it's rear end collisions from following too closely. Apparently the Google cars stop more abruptly than regular drivers... another thing they are working on fixing! I think they said they have 2 million miles on their fleet now.

11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

:giggle:animIt's time to start driving around in old beaters ad stomping on the brakes ahead of them....just to check their reflexes:rofl:anim

12. OldjunkFords Oregon Chapter Founding Member

I thought already encountered one of these................until I passed it and realized the woman driving was barely able to see over the dash, and invisible when viewed from behind.

56panelford likes this.
  13. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

I think I seen the lady too. :)

14. jniolon Article Contributor Founding Member

I've been driving I-20 about 160 miles round trip every day this week for work... Google is way late... those cars are everywhere and doing around 90 mph in moderate to heavy traffic..

john

56panelford likes this.
  15. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

:hello2:
    Do you find yourself waving to any of them when they or you pass?

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >