Aod swap for 78 F100

Discussion in '1973 - 1979 Ford F100, F150, F250-F350 Truck Forum' started by JWC 3, Feb 27, 2016.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have a donor car . 89 Grand Marquis . Going to pull the complete drive train .
    I would rather keep my carburetor set up not doing the EFI conversion .
    Time is one issue , quick swap . I will keep all components to do the change over
    if I decide to at a later date. One thing bothers me , TV , or detent cable . How
    do I hook up to my stock carburetor ? How to properly set that up ?
    I could use my c6 , works fine , just thinking the Aod would be a nice change .
    Any thoughts would help .
    Thanks.

Tags:
    56panelford likes this.
  2. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

TV /detent cable is just like the old kickdown cable.
    Depending on the carb you use, if it has the Ford throttle linkage on it, you just use that
    You can also adapt the linkage by using a piggyback set up, like a cruise control cable, although those are tough to adjust.
    The way I adjust them, is to open the cable adjustment, Hold the throttle full throttle, then close the adjustment. The cable spring inside the transmission will center itself when you let off the throttle, and it will be adjusted.
    If you don't adjust the cable, it will wipe out O/D in a short amount of time
    To lock/ unlock the converter, gm uses a vacuum switch that hooks into the wiring harness, I will look on my 46 and get you the part number when you are ready

Are you sure that's an AOD, not a FR70W?
    How many bolts are in the pan?

56panelford likes this.
  3. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I was told it was an aod. I haven't pulled it yet. Haven't even put it on the rack.....

56panelford likes this.
  4. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

aod would be the best swap for you!
    No computer at all needed.
    Count the cables under the hood, if it has 3, it's aod
    throttle
    cruise
    tv

56panelford likes this.
  5. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Only filter I list for it is for an AOD. That is by vehicle application.
    And yes 3 cables .

56panelford likes this.
  6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

My c6 has a kick down rod . I guess adapt the cable to fit my stock 2bbl carb...

56panelford likes this.
  7. dustybumpers Article Contributor Founding Member

Should fit on the ball, you can also buy a kit on Jegs to put on a Holley to make it into a Ford linkage. I'll search for it later, I think I have one out in the shop that I ordered when I was putting together parts for the Mercedes

56panelford likes this.
  8. Scot Founding Member

I did the AOD on my wifes '68 Mustang. The TV cable (Lokar) is a pain because the TV lever has so much resistance that it takes a good spring to pull it back shut when you release the throttle. The resistance is in the transmission. There is a little tool that you use to set it that takes up the slack and you adjust the cable to get the correct test pressure on the transmission. That means you mash the throttle partially before the TV cable starts moving.

Result is that the throttle is "normal" to a certain point (mild acceleration) and then it takes a LOT of pressure to get the throttle past that point.

It has been a burr under my saddle and I really wish I had put in a later model electric transmission with the Bauman controller.

JWC 3 likes this.
  9. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I remember Jasper sending a "tool " with each transmission . A wedge , pickle fork type deal .
    You inserted it and read line psi . at a pressure port .
    Been a while ....

56panelford likes this.
  10. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Thinking about sticking with my C6 .

56panelford likes this.
  11. 56panelford TOTM Winner Founding Member Canadian Chapter

Lokar has a kick down cable for the C6 John
    kickdown 010 Quick e-mail view.jpg #ad

I installed one on my C6 but had to make my own lever because for some reason the shifter pin is indexed different than most I guess. I have the 2bl carb and was able to modify the Ford throttle brackets to work.

JWC 3 likes this.
< Previous Thread | Next Thread >