Grinding noise

Discussion in '2017 - 2022 Ford F250+ Super Duty Forum' started by WFL, Oct 4, 2021.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. WFL

I have 2021 F250, 4 wheel drive, 6.2, six spd transmission with 2,000 miles. I have a metal to metal grinding noise in 3rd & 4th gear between the rpms 1100 to 1400 when I'm going up a slow grade hill (not towing anything). I've had truck at two different Ford Dealerships, they both have changed out rear differential flange, but I still have same noise. Anyone else had this problem? If so what was done to correct it?

Tags:
  2. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Usually grinding, if you are accelerating, indicates the planetary gear is the problem. How did they (or you) determine it's coming from rear?

3. WFL

Both Dealerships told me , Ford had a Service Bulletin and they contacted Ford Hot Line. Here's a quote from dealership, "Performed SSM 50138, This is a normal driveline noise for vehicle. They have updated rear pinion flange to help with noise." Folk's I'm 67 years old, I've had a lot of different vehicles during my lifetime and never had this kind of noise, there's nothing normal about this noise. This noise happens when slowly accelerating between 1100 to 1400 rpms and constant if you can hold it between those rpms on mild up hill grade. I don't hear it when when I'm towing.

4. FranktheFrunk

I hear a noise from the rear too.. same truck, couple hundred miles on it.

5. F250_Mountaineer

I just had my 2021 F-250 6.2L with the 6-speed into the dealer for the exact same issue. Under light acceleration, right around 23-28 mph, 3-4 gear, there's a grinding noise in the drive train. I took the service manager for a ride and he heard the noise and immediately said "I think Ford will call that "normal". Anyways, they didn't do anything. I then did some research and found some TSBs (see post) that seems to desribe the issue perfectly. I then found these posts on this forum so it sounds like others have similar problem. @FranktheFrunk @WFL.

I bought a set of "Chassis Ears" and put one on the transmission (closest to driveshaft) and one on the rear differential - basically on either end of the driveshaft. The sensor on the transmission registered the noise, the rear differential was quiet...which makes me question what replacing a rear axle pinion seal will do.

Attached Files:

6. WFL

Update, after getting with Ford Care, they made a appointment with a 3rd Ford Dealership. They were able to determine that the noise I was hearing was coming from transmission and changed out torque converter. That didn’t fix it. Dealership Service Manger told me to call Ford Care. I did was passed around at Ford Care and finally told they couldn’t find a another dealership that could work on by truck, they were 3 months backed up. I said that’s crazy (I live in the Atlanta area, theirs Ford Dealerships every where) then she told me she had to close out my Case Number, but she said she would make a note to check back with me! I said, how can you close out my case when my truck hasn’t been repaired? The next person you’ll talk to will be an attorney! Since then I’ve hired a Attorney and will post y’all an update later.

7. F250_Mountaineer

Please keep us posted! That’s typical Ford. Good on you for escalating. That doesn’t bode well for me trying to get my dealer to fix it - within Spec they’ll say!

8. ifallsguy

It's a big secret, but Chevy, GMC and RAM will tell you the same thing. "it's within specs". So don't assume it's only Ford!!~!!

9. DonW

Unfortunately this is true. I’m not sure the noise you all hear is the same as I can make mine do. 2020 F-250 7.3 of coarse with the 10 speed. Mines so faint I actually never pd much attention. It’s a ford! Now if it made the same “whisper” all of the time regardless of gear I’d be concerned.
    Now don’t take me wrong…I like my truck very much, but unlike lots of people I do not “love” it!, lol I love no materialistic things. Hey, it’s a truck and more significant….it’s a ford, tough built, dependable but you should expect noise, rough ride etc, as stated after all it’s ford.
    You guys are getting the run around, face it, how on gods green earth can changing a torque converter have any bearing on a slight, faint noice, you call a grinding noise for lack of a better word heard only in one gear at a very limited rpm range only when slightly accelerating or when going up a slight incline? Come on, be real!
    If this very limited isolated noise is real ford more than likely will issue a recall….when and if they find a way to correct it. As for now why issue a recall if they have no repair? Do you guys ride around in 3rd gear at a certain rpm trying to hear a noise? Almost sounds like some of you are looking for an excuse to trade your trucks..like the weight police try to justify their big F-350 ,F-450 diesels to tow a 12,000 lb fifth wheel 1000 miles a yr. if you want a differant truck go get one, enjoy life and be happy!
    Hey get an extended drive train warranty like I’m going to do, after all we were crazy enough to buy a truck with the shortest warranty in the truck market. Hmmmm, wonder why that is??

10. F250_Mountaineer

Your’re mostly right. I moved to an HD truck from a Tundra since I needed a 3/4 ton for towing. Absolutely no issues with the two Tundras I owned. With Ford and GM, there’s usually some “little” things that are nuisances that you just have to accept or fight your dealer or the automaker to fix. A good dealer will go to bat for you with Ford, a crappy dealer will tell you “it’s in spec”, which is a cop out. If you want to accept mediocrity, that’s certainly your choice. Some of us choose not to accept mediocrity.

11. DonW

Oh I understand what you're saying. I was always a ford guy from late teens to 2012 when my dealer, whom my wife and I plus my small business had bought 10 vehicles in 12 years, 8 of which were new. Then 2012 I wanted a new F-150, told them I have no desire nor interest in the eco-boost, right or wrong I would NOT buy one. Wanted the 5.0. They didn't have what I wanted, they found one at another dealer said give them 4-5 days and they would have it. We agreed to the deal, my trade etc.
    I kept calling, they didn't have it in yet.Finally over 3 weeks later they claimed they couldn't get me approved!! I asked "what if I decided i'd take the eco-boost". They said "OH!! There all kinds of incentives on those". I said "well if they are so good they needed to stick all of them where the sun doesn't shine cause good things will never hurt"!
    about a week later bought a new 15oo RAM 5.7. The RAM was a little better model than the ford I wanted, about $3000 more. They got me out the door a few hundred less than the Ford. Wound up loving the RAM, bought 4 between 2012 and 2018 between myself and the company. Zero problems, considerably more power, better fuel mileage.
    As i said previously, bought 2020 FORD F-250 because like you I needed a 3/4 ton. I personally want nothing to do with a diesel, right or wrong, my preference. Really like my truck, the 7.3 Godzilla is awesome, quite good fuel mileage, rides like a FORD, sounds like a FORD etc. etc. Hey why shouldn't it after all it's a FORD. Since have riden in a couple RAM 3500 duallies, even they ride better and are quieter than my F-250. But hey it's a truck!! Its a FORD.
    Bottom line FORD doesn't have an answer to whatever you guys are hearing and until they do you can expect more, expect better but wether your dealer tries or not......it won't be fixed! IF there's anything wrong in the first place. Remember the dealer that changed the torque converter for no reason, anyone with any mechanical experience knows that wouldn't help, FORD motor company PD that dealer big bucks so why wouldn't the dealer want to do it, do you really think ANY dealer actually really cares if it helps or not?? They got pd. by Ford, it's approved by Ford or they wouldn't do it..

12. Morgan

I have a 2022 F250 6.2 6-speed with 2400 miles...having the exact same problem. Dealer wants to call it road noise and will not acknowledge the problem. Like the guy above, I am 63 years old and at this point Im able to identify when a noise is not normal. How can we get a response out of the dealers and Ford on this issue? What is the Ford "hot Line"?

13. DonW

My 2020 250, 7.3, 10 speed. The noise I hear in 3rd gear around 1100---1500 when I gently step on it or let of is what I call a little pinion slap. 23,000 miles bought new. Just got home from 2500 miles round trip hauling 13000-14000 lb 5th wheel. No problems.

14. Biffster

WFL, I am surprised you found an attorney that would get involved. Congratulations! I too had Ford Customer Care tell me they closed out my case without resolving the issue. Then Opened a new case and still did not do squat.
    Please keep us posted on your out come.

15. DonW

O'k guys..and gals if that applies. I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I hear lots of folks complaining about this :"grinding noise" ever since I bought my 2020 F-250, 1yr 8 months ago. But I haven't heard of anyone having a break down yet. I didn't say no one has had a breakdown but I haven't heard of it. Now I'm 73 yrs old been involved in mechanics some. It's my experience if there is a "grinding Noise", it's most always two metal surfaces rubbing in each other. And for all this "grinding" to be going on and nothings broke....I'm not sure what everyones hearing, but is it really a "grinding noise"? What DOES concern me though is the fact there's no transmission dipstick!!

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >